Asking for help again!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Thanks Rd. As I expected. You and I are on the same page. Just different use of terms. At the cages now with DD. I will post a gif later that explains it at least the way I think about it.

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
redhotcoach

The corner is created at the rear hip area when the lower half is turning forward and the upper half and barrel is turning back behind the rear hip.
Starting to create a corner.

The concept is not "turn a corner", it is create a corner by resistance or pulling back with the core and back against the rear leg turning forward. I group that whole concept into "turning the barrel". You turn the barrel back (teaching turning the barrel involves the back and core) against the rear leg turning….it creates a corner at the rear hip that the barrel is WHIPPED AROUND.

Feel what Springer is doing. Do you feel like anything above his rear leg is trying to push forward or rotate? And speaking of rotation…to me, his swing is a line. His rear leg and rear hip go in a straight line toward the pitcher. His barrel turns around his hands gets whipped AROUND THE CORNER and OUT toward the center until his arms run out.

Just in case else is trying to follow... LOL

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
As I was reading the carve/filet thread, this is the gif that jumped out at me. Watch the relationship between the rear hip, the rear shoulder, and the hands. When I think of carve, this is what pops into my mind. But I don't know if that is how it was meant by the original user.

28i6ohw.jpg

Dec 4, 2013
As I was reading the carve/filet thread, this is the gif that jumped out at me. Watch the relationship between the rear hip, the rear shoulder, and the hands. When I think of carve, this is what pops into my mind. But I don't know if that is how it was meant by the original user.

28i6ohw.jpg

That's a pretty great gif to see the missing frames/the overlap. The lateral tilt and rearward turning barrel causing the "extra stretch" that eludes most hitters....

Jan 4, 2012
OH-IO
Calling ALL Corner Checkers... Could you tell me if its there ???... or @ what frame it should be... THX

<video width="512" height="100%" controls loop video controls autoplay>
<source src="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/58923514/Hitting%20Fall/corner_HB.mp4" />
</video>

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
PC - IMO the exaggerated leg kick and hand pump have served their purposes - she now knows the feel and sync she is after. If it were my DD, I'd simplify things and scale those movements back and make it easier to focus on the other aspects of the swing that need work. I know its just style, but I think its holding her back
PS - she's much closer to the goal than she was not very long ago, but there is no corner, its still basically a push
PPS - off-speed will be her demise unless she's planning to just play slow pitch softball

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
I removed my post because it was 'argumentative and negative. I also think most posters don't really care about hitting minutia like maybe me, you and a few others.

Thank you!

See...a conversation can happen without being nasty...there's a few good pages of info here being brought to light...

I see how you can view it as 2 moves and I think you did a great job of stating your point...ie: this THEN that

I also think posters do care about the minutia - but get lost in the wars between the hitting camps, esoteric terms (like carve\filet) and in general, threads that don't stay on topic. One other thing I think that confuses posters is there a few people that are great at identifying swing flaws but it is difficult to communicate how to fix it over an internet forum.

I still stand by my statement a few weeks ago...I've never felt this is about me being right...it's more about the journey in helping the kids out....

Thanks again for taking the time to provide such a detailed explanation...CP

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Wright is LOADING HIS BARREL BEHIND THE CORNER as his hands creates the corner..............
2z68pwn.gif

Manny(Arod) is LOADING HIS BARREL BEHIND THE CORNER as his hands create the corner.............
20kocck.gif

Loading the barrel BEHIND the corner AS the hands CREATE the corner..........Vs. UNLOADING the barrel into the corner ...QUOTE]
s33sz4.gif

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi