Are tryouts really a tryout?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 31, 2011
Jawja
I just wish the coaches would tell you, one way or another. We're all adults here, if she isn't what you're looking for, just tell us. You could even send out a mass email, something like "thank you for coming, our teams have been picked and we wish you luck", it's that simple. Obviously if you don't hear anything, that's your answer, but geez an email would be nice.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
So much depends on the focus of the team/organization. Our organization has been around since 1982 and since I have been with them (2008?) I have had a perennial 18U team. As players move off to college we bring in new players typically as rising Freshman or Sophomores. Many of our players are with us for 3 - 5 years. We invest heavily in them and as long as they are doing their part they have a home. We do not have tryouts. Instead we find players by word of mouth and from current players and their families. We easily turn away 20 - 30 players each year, either because we do not have a spot or we know them (or their parents) all too well. :)

IME I find that many teams that have full on tryouts with all positions open tend to win lots of games, do very well the mythical national championship tournaments but seem to have more than their share of drama. They do a great job of marketing players and getting them signed to "D1 Schools" regardless of if they belong there or not. On the other hand we get ours signed from everything from DII JUCO's to the SEC where they spend their softball careers chasing fair balls instead of foul balls. Each approach has it's pros and cons you have to find what works for you and your DD.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
Here are a couple of do's and don'ts...

1. If you're looking for a replacement for a player who isn't working out on your team, cut her before tryout season starts. Don't let her think she's part of the team until you finally find a player to replace her, leaving her with no options now that tryout season has ended.

2. If you're expecting a lot of players at your tryout, no need to have your returning players attend. Or if they do attend, keep them out of the mix. We went to a tryout with 50 new players and 30+ returning players. I'm quite sure the coaches don't need to see their returning players hit and run bases. Move the program along and get the new players through the stations.

3. If your organization has multiple teams at the same age level, establish a pecking order of who gets first dibs at players, and determine who needs what positions filled. That way there's no squabbling over players and no confusion when it comes to offering positions on the various teams.

4. If you've invited a player back to a second tryout, you owe them the courtesy of a brief discussion or email once the tryout is done at the very least. Don't leave them hanging. If you like the player, tell them you're going to think about it and let them know ASAP. If not, let them know it's not a good fit so they can look elsewhere.

5. If your organization is looking for a starting pitcher, catcher, shortstop, and center fielder, maybe it's time to pack it in and send your current players elsewhere.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
Different teams/coaches have different "goals" at tryouts, and as the level of TB increases so does the cutthroat competitiveness. A lot of B and C level teams just want to keep the girls together and have fun while improving their skills, while most A-level teams are trying to put together the best team possible.

To me this means most A level teams are about the organization and the coaches, not the girls. I'm struggling to see how this is ethical in youth sports.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Gets annoying too, when coaches say, " we will call you tonight." Then they don't call and when they do call its the next day. I don't have patience for liars

That is beyond annoying. So this is who you will rely on to followup with a college coach with your DD's future in their hands?

Oct 18, 2009
To me this means most A level teams are about the organization and the coaches, not the girls. I'm struggling to see how this is ethical in youth sports.

How is choosing the best players for an "A" level team unethical in youth sports? In general players should play with athletes of similar ability and dedication. All other factors (ie crazy parents, loyalty, etc) equal, if someone is better is it fair that she gets cut for someone less skilled?

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
The past three tryouts we've gone to, I haven't worn any of my work tees. When I do tell coaches where I work at, its amazing how much they want to be my best friend. Then my dd is good enough to play on their team . Sorry I don't play that game. If my dd has a good tryout and you like what you see and you decide to take her on her talents then I'm ok with that, that's what I want. Don't take her cause of what her daddy does for work. Annoying too.

Jan 3, 2014
Darm Mike, where DO you work?
:confused:
When I tell people what I do they are still confused and instantly bored.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi