Are tryouts really a tryout?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Having just experienced this from the perspective of a Rec/All-Star player wanting to move up to travel, I don't have an issue with teams reserving spots, but I do wish they would be honest about how many spots were open. She tried out on two different "open tryout" days for one team, and six of the girls there were wearing the team jersey and multiple others were clearly known by the coaches. That's fine, but we heard later that she took all the remaining first year 12U girls in order to build a team for 2 years. In other words, they didn't take any new second-year 12U girls. It just would have been nice to know since the advertisement indicated that "all positions are open."

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
from my experience, tryouts really are tryouts. But a kid that the coaches don't know has a bigger burden of proof than a returning player so she would have to really show superior skills to supplant an existing player. It does happen, but once players are at a certain level it is really hard in a tryout to show you are THAT much better than someone else when everyone can play well. So it becomes a matter of targeting teams with specific needs that match your kid's skills.

When my oldest was coming out of rec she went on three tryouts I think. At one tryout I thought DD was right there and she did not get picked because while she could play with the other girls on the team, she did not stand out and in this situation any good coach is going to go with the player he knows and not take the risk on a girl that appears equal in talent.

At the time I of course thought the coach was very unfair, not picking my daughter for anything is pretty much a shortcut to my S-list. But flash forward two years and the process is much easier, I know the talent level of both my girls, I know the strengths and weaknesses of many teams we have played against and when I looked for options this year I simply tracked down the coaches of teams where I thought the girls would be a good fit, I let them know who my kids were and got the ball rolling that way. The key is knowing the teams and knowing your kid and choosing teams that make sense for them.

Of course there has to be some jumping off point, you don't get the lay of the land until you spend a lot of Sunday's patrolling the dirt. But once you do, I think tryouts become more conversational and fit oriented and much less a matter of going to cattle calls. And if you scout well than finding a good fit is not too hard.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Good points, JJ.

It seems to me that a lot of "open tryouts" aren't done with the intent of potentially creating a team of all new players, but rather looking for players to fill holes, or finding a new player who is a significant difference-maker for the team. Coaches who have invested a significant amount of work in developing a player aren't likely to kick them to the curb unless there is a compelling reason to do so.

Jan 7, 2014
Western New York
from my experience, tryouts really are tryouts. But a kid that the coaches don't know has a bigger burden of proof than a returning player so she would have to really show superior skills to supplant an existing player. It does happen, but once players are at a certain level it is really hard in a tryout to show you are THAT much better than someone else when everyone can play well. So it becomes a matter of targeting teams with specific needs that match your kid's skills.

When my oldest was coming out of rec she went on three tryouts I think. At one tryout I thought DD was right there and she did not get picked because while she could play with the other girls on the team, she did not stand out and in this situation any good coach is going to go with the player he knows and not take the risk on a girl that appears equal in talent.

At the time I of course thought the coach was very unfair, not picking my daughter for anything is pretty much a shortcut to my S-list. But flash forward two years and the process is much easier, I know the talent level of both my girls, I know the strengths and weaknesses of many teams we have played against and when I looked for options this year I simply tracked down the coaches of teams where I thought the girls would be a good fit, I let them know who my kids were and got the ball rolling that way. The key is knowing the teams and knowing your kid and choosing teams that make sense for them.

Of course there has to be some jumping off point, you don't get the lay of the land until you spend a lot of Sunday's patrolling the dirt. But once you do, I think tryouts become more conversational and fit oriented and much less a matter of going to cattle calls. And if you scout well than finding a good fit is not too hard.

Agree completely JJ...both as a coach and a Dad...

As a coach this year I was looking for speed and middle infielders and advertised as such. Had some talented girls show up who just didn't fit that bill...I talked to these parents as well and directed them to tryouts where I knew their DD's would be a better fit. I got the 3 that fit the profile I was looking for...mind you, I'm only 12U and was that specific...

As a dad, I reached out the week before tryouts to certain coaches asking them if they needed a C\1B\3B. We went to tryouts looking for her type of player\position and luckily ended up on her 1st choice of teams.

Do I think tryouts are fair? As a coach, why would I not want them to be fair? Why would I not want to give your DD the best chance possible of making the team?

Here's the thing...or another perspective, assuming I don't know that your DD is coming to my tryout..your daughter has 5 minutes to impress me...7 minutes if she is a P or C...

Why 5 minutes? It will take me less than 30 seconds to time your DD's base running speed...your DD is going to get 10 ground balls and 10 pop flies totaling another 90 seconds...3-5 bunts and 15 pitches off a machine...all of that takes 5 minutes in a 2 hour tryout...just remember, the other 18 girls that showed up for 2 or 3 spots were faced with the same constraint...CP

Apr 28, 2014
Stick with REC ball if you want it to be "all about the girls"......

RIGHT!!!
DD left a local TB organization and will be playing for a regional travel team in our area.
I spoke to a few of the parents on one of the teams from our prior organization about trying out for the team DD is going to.
They said "no, our DD wants to stay here" despite their own DD's saying different. I challenged one of the parents about this and she said "We like the group of parents on this team and it's fun for us".
WTF? Really... you're keeping your kid from trying out for a better team because you like the parents on the team?
I don't care if the parents on my DD's team are total jerks, if my DD is getting better and happier that's where she's gonna play. When this becomes about me then it's time to hang up her cleats.

Apr 28, 2014
A few things I learned...

1) Stay tuned to the local postings for new teams/try outs for existing teams. If you DD is a pitcher contact the coach and ask them to level with you. What are they looking for. If they want a power pitcher and your DD is a finesse pitcher then don't waste her time or the coaches time. Tell the coach what your DD is good at and what she needs work on. Ask them, if knowing these things, do they want to take a look at her at a tryout.

2) Explain to your DD what they said they are looking for. Be honest to her. Most girls are tougher that we give them credit for. As long as you're honest with them they won't be hurt if they don't make the team.

3) Assess your DD at the tryouts. When you get home (not in the car) ask her what she did well, and what she needs to improve on. You'll be surprised how much she knows about her skills.

4) Ask her if she thinks she made the team based on the tryout. If you and her are on different pages try to share your perspective.

5) Ask the coach for honest feedback and if they make an offer ask a ton of questions. Where do you see her, how will you gauge progress, playing time questions etc.

Good Luck!

Jul 12, 2010
Another way of asking this question, should coaches automatically replace a good, committed returning players with a perceived more athletic player? In theory ever player should tryout, however, teams are developed over a long period of time and I would be suspect of programs that treat athletes like commodities to be replaced as soon as a new, shiny option arrives. Coaches know their needs from season to season, and that is what tryout are meant to accomplish, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Another way of asking this question, should coaches automatically replace a good, committed returning players with a perceived more athletic player? In theory ever player should tryout, however, teams are developed over a long period of time and I would be suspect of programs that treat athletes like commodities to be replaced as soon as a new, shiny option arrives. Coaches know their needs from season to season, and that is what tryout are meant to accomplish, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again, though, from a parent's perspective, this is totally fine and acceptable. Just be honest. Don't advertise an "open tryout" with "all positions open" if they're really not. If you're only looking for 1-2 players to round out a roster, say so! You'll probably cut down on the number of kids who show up for the cattle call and make your own life easier! Just sayin'

Jun 12, 2015
Do you think they're lying when they say all positions are open? Let's say a team has a really solid short stop. At tryouts, a girl shows up who's a total short stop rock star. I would assume solid short stop would lose her position to the rock star, maybe get moved to 2B or something. So that even if certain girls are already on the team, they aren't necessarily guaranteed their preferred positions if better talent joins the team.