Are tryouts really a tryout?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Do you think they're lying when they say all positions are open? Let's say a team has a really solid short stop. At tryouts, a girl shows up who's a total short stop rock star. I would assume solid short stop would lose her position to the rock star, maybe get moved to 2B or something. So that even if certain girls are already on the team, they aren't necessarily guaranteed their preferred positions if better talent joins the team.

No, I don't think they're "lying." I think they're hedging their bets, wanting to have all options available to them to form the best possible team. Again, no objection to that. But, if you've already got 8 of 10 players locked in, I think it's kind (notice I didn't say "fair") to let parents know that's the case so that they don't put all their eggs in one basket and will be more likely to look at multiple teams. Just evens the playing field a bit, I guess.

Jun 18, 2013
Gets annoying too, when coaches say, " we will call you tonight." Then they don't call and when they do call its the next day. I don't have patience for liars

Dealing with this now. DD went through a tryout Sunday with the biggest organization in our hometown and we got very positive feedback on the way out of the park and both coaches told us that they would be calling within an hour. I just got a call today at noon that she made the team. Now I am stuck with a different dilemma that I am going to ask about in a different thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi