a rec coach decided...player contracts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 27, 2013
Just read through this thread. Much thanks to @RADcatcher for the thought provoking thread. Thankfully my organization is adopting a Code of Conduct for parent or guardians. This has to be signed by all parent who register children across all rec and competitive teams. With parents hopefully having a guide to base their actions on it is easier to focus on the important part, the players. For my rec team the Players Code of Conduct is 4 simple rules 1. Have fun. 2. Be a good teammate. 3. Sportspersonship is required. 4. Have fun. The finer points of these rules are discussed as the season happens. The level of opt-in at rec varies. It my job as coach to provide opportunities and remove barriers for players to enjoy the sport. My Player Code of Conduct is much more developed for our completive team and underlines requirements of participation and dedication as well as confirming the guiding principals from my rec team. It is my job as coach to challenge these players to be better in all facets of the game including hard skills, IQ and life lessons. I do not have either group sign a form as the principle of putting your name to paper is not fully recognized in this day and age and especially by this age group. I truly believe that the leading by example combined with personal interactions and refinements offered by a coach are the key to obtaining the behaviors that you seek. The issue is polishing your coaching craft to be able to seize the vast majority of these opportunities in a compressed and time limited environment.

These Codes of Conduct are definitely different than what was mentioned as a “Player Contract” in the OP. I believe LIttle League already has a Parent Code of Conduct in place. There might be one for players, as well. I can definitely be on board with “Codes of Conduct” vs a “Player Contract” as described in the OP.

May 13, 2023
( Don't know if the coach in the original post is having Player sign anything or not 🤷‍♀️)

Do think, Either code of conduct or player contract IF *signed ramps it up.
AKA~ anything signed ramps it up.

Good thing there are different words to use of what to call it. Even 'Code of Conduct' may be too strong of words for some, (because that is still setting rules).
To that, some people may choose to use the word Guidelines.
Probability with the diversity of people, personal preference will be applied.
Cuz some people might want the stronger verbiage.

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have been given a code of conduct form a handful of times, never signed 1 of them. I do not think DD did either. DW might have signed hers but not sure.

If you are a jerk either as a player or parent we had some administrative things in place that the Issue could be addressed.

I took off on my parents in the stands 1 time, some players might have learned some new words.

May 27, 2013
( Don't know if the coach in the original post is having Player sign anything or not 🤷‍♀️)

Do think, Either code of conduct or player contract IF *signed ramps it up.
AKA~ anything signed ramps it up.

Good thing there are different words to use of what to call it. Even 'Code of Conduct' may be too strong of words for some, (because that is still setting rules).
To that, some people may choose to use the word Guidelines.
Probability with the diversity of people, personal preference will be applied.
Cuz some people might want the stronger verbiage.

It’s not the title of the document, it’s the content.

May 13, 2023
It’s not the title of the document, it’s the content.
Absolutely think that's correct.

Yet obviously the title of the document became focus of discussion. And whether it is signed or not made an appearance in discussion.

Aug 15, 2021
Absolutely think that's correct.

Yet obviously the title of the document became focus of discussion. And whether it is signed or not made an appearance in discussion.
It wasn't just the title. You said in your original post, "a commitment to the teams schedule games & practices." This is what I had a concern about, and calling it a contract seemed to emphasize this point. If you miss games or practice, something punitive will happen. I suggested in my early post having a player commitment or pledge is less concerning. This is similar to what you posted earlier. Something that asks players to do their best and treat others with respect. That is something the players have more personal accountability for. Missing games and practice aren't always things that a rec player can control themselves. They may be playing multiple sports at the same time, or parents jobs make it difficult.

May 13, 2023
Often putting different details in an original post can help discussions form themselves.
Hence the different perspectives people share. Thank you for participating!
More often than not these posts I make are discussion topics. They are not necessarily based on my opinion.
His reasoning is that while anybody can sign up and play for the league, and all players have to be played in games regardless if they show up to practice. That league rule does not promote developing a team of players and he acknowledges that's not fair to the players that do show up for practices.
It was nice to see a couple posters recognize the effort is directed at trying to implement promoting development of players and team atmosphere.

My comment page's back is
do think that City leagues need to step it up a little bit to close the gap between what travel ball offers and why people are leaving for travel ball.
Better developmental commitments is part of that.

I do applaud people like this coach who are trying to make a better team atmosphere.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2023
Unlike 25+ years ago where kids played unorganized ball without adult supervision, in 2023 unless a parent is heavily involved/invested in a kid playing a stick and ball sport, the odds of that kid being any good are pretty bad. If a contract can help a parent get more invested then great. I doubt that will be the case most of the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles