a rec coach decided...player contracts

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 17, 2012
That league rule does not promote developing a team of players and he acknowledges that's not fair to the players that do show up for practices.

Time for player contracts.

Which will include basic verbiage about playing on this team will have a commitment to the teams schedule games & practices.

The fatal flaw for this coach.....they assume that by showing up for their practices they will be better players and therefore a better team (more wins).

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2021
✔️👍
Do you think having that conversation written down can have greater impact?

Think something important to be brought into this discussion is that without good leadership it is difficult for people to understand the importance of things like showing up for practice. People tending to have an individual mentality. Not a group/team mentality.
Highly likely that people have already experienced bad leadership/bad practices and that's why they will show up for games but not practice.

➡️This discussion was brought up to find solution. This is one coach's approach to finding solution!

After the next season when it gets implemented I will try to bring feedback of its result.
I don't see a problem with an initial email to parents that reference some simple key points, but I think you need to keep it positive. This may be the first time some of these parents have been exposed to their kids playing on a team. No need to scare them away. Help them cultivate a love for the game that makes them want to come back. Depending on the season some girls have overlapping sports they are playing, especially at younger ages like soccer or basketball.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
NOPE! The coach needs to have a parent meeting and discuss his philosophy and what he wishes to achieve. He can go over his proposed rules but he would get feedback from the parents which is why he is trying to use the backdoor with the form instead of doing it face to face. BTW, where does his covert attempt to circumvent league rules stop? Parents need to bring this form to the attention of the league board.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
If there is no repercussions or consequences then their are no real rules just suggestions which he will get better results with the carrot not the stick. Just try to be the most encouraging coach. Come all-stars selection and coaching all-stars, rules can be applied. We never had guaranteed playing time during all-stars. Just the coach's DD started SS and batted 2nd every game. :D

May 13, 2023
NOPE! The coach needs to have a parent meeting and discuss his philosophy and what he wishes to achieve. He can go over his proposed rules but he would get feedback from the parents which is why he is trying to use the backdoor with the form instead of doing it face to face. BTW, where does his covert attempt to circumvent league rules stop? Parents need to bring this form to the attention of the league board.
To be clear. He has in the past and will continue to have in person parent group meeting at beginning. He always has a team conversation after practices and games also. Now additionally creating the written version.
Nothing backdoor about it.

Apparently maybe you didn't read the rest of the posts 🤷‍♀️ he is not changing or circumventing league rules.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Intentions may be good, but I'm not a fan of the process chosen. Rec ball is called recreation for a reason. At some point in time, those that are more interested in competitive ball will switch over to travel ball. That is the primary reason my daughter switched. She enjoyed rec ball because she had the opportunity to play with her closest friends. She eventually realized that most of them did not share the same amount of desire in the sport, so she moved on, and developed new friendships in the process while still remaining friends (outside of softball) with the others.

I do like the parent meeting idea. After all, a 12 year old is not driving themselves to practice, so the parent has to be involved. Basic guidelines can be shared with the entire group. That way those with little desire know what to expect and those with the desire know it was addressed.

May 13, 2023
If there is no repercussions or consequences then their are no real rules
just suggestions
Yes you recognize correctly that this is a more formal suggestion! Hopefully there is the possibility that this will help get families on board. ( or at least a few more)

Feb 7, 2014
My two cents (may not be worth that much)...

Like many of you I have seen the entire spectrum - youth leagues, all stars, travel, high school, and college. I have yet to see a team where signed documents for the purpose of keeping athletes or parents inline is effective.

If you need a document to get a kid to practice you probably have bigger issues.
If you need a document to get a kid to behave you probably have bigger issues.
If you need a document to get a parent to behave you have bigger issues.

May 13, 2023
My two cents (may not be worth that much)...

If you need a document to get a kid to practice you probably have bigger issues.
If you need a document to get a kid to behave you probably have bigger issues.
If you need a document to get a parent to behave you have bigger issues.
Yep, having to hold people accountable is difficult and not a good issue to have.

Definitely with a mixture of people there are going to be issues. Especially when everybody gets to play regardless of attendance.
... issues that may be routinely inherent in other City Leagues.
Which can become reasons why volunteering coaches leave. And Parents/ players that want a better experience also leave.
Which eventually has torn some other City leagues completely apart. Where they don't have teams past 10u and so few 12u teams they have to travel 30 miles to play other city league teams.
*In an area of California that is densely populated, but now mostly travel.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2023
Intentions may be good, but I'm not a fan of the process chosen. Rec ball is called recreation for a reason. At some point in time, those that are more interested in competitive ball will switch over to travel ball. That is the primary reason my daughter switched. She enjoyed rec ball because she had the opportunity to play with her closest friends. She eventually realized that most of them did not share the same amount of desire in the sport, so she moved on, and developed new friendships in the process while still remaining friends (outside of softball) with the others.

I do like the parent meeting idea. After all, a 12 year old is not driving themselves to practice, so the parent has to be involved. Basic guidelines can be shared with the entire group. That way those with little desire know what to expect and those with the desire know it was addressed.
I don't disagree but I think some people in charge have over-rotated towards a nihilistic approach to rec leagues. Kids should still be able to develop and truly compete without having to go as far as the commitment required for travel.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles