Zepp Swing Analyzer

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
The rocketech is what I was using when I recorded my swing. It was hanging on the rack and was readily available. No issues whatsoever. It was a little difficult getting on and off the 2Legit though... it's knob is bulky and has sharp corners.

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
I used it last night after reading how to interpret and use the feed back. This thing is great. Now that we know how to use it DD has bought in to how it can improve her swing. Charting the hits definitely provides proof to the numbers. Having a third person do this helps speed things up.

Oct 10, 2011
zepp

I used it last night after reading how to interpret and use the feed back. This thing is great. Now that we know how to use it DD has bought in to how it can improve her swing. Charting the hits definitely provides proof to the numbers. Having a third person do this helps speed things up.
Good to hear. I'll get to use ours for the first time on Tuesday.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

When you look at the overhead Bat Path, did you observe any orientation issues? For example, did you observe anything like a ball that was clearly squared and sent up the middle, instead give a reading of contact that would have the ball going to 1B (for a RH hitter)?

I'm playing with the instrument and open to suggestions to tweak getting it to give proper bat path results.

Jun 23, 2013
PacNw
Just checked Sports Authority website. They have this thing for about $115 after sales tax and shipping. Best deal I've seen by far.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
It will show a red area on the swing. That red area is where the bat actually made contact with the ball. If the red area is large, it's an indicator that the wrists are weak and weren't strong through contact. If you barrel release is weak the recoil effect will be large. And if your really strong and quick through the zone the red area will be minimal. This indicates less of a recoil and bounce back of the bat.
Pay close attention to the hand path. If the path is looping out or small and close, it directly affects the bat speed and time in the zone.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
CJ, I'm fairly new with the Zepp and on the learning curve.

Regarding the bat orientation during the 'red' portion (impact) ... if an overhead image of the bat path shows the bat angled to hit the ball foul, yet the observation is that the ball was hit down the middle, what adjustment would need to be made to obtain an agreement with the observed result?

Regarding your comment about the width of the 'red' area ... I agree that the width contains some use useful information ... I don't agree that it is so much about "the wrists are weak" and/or "weren't strong through contact". I can understand that perspective .... just don't agree with it. To me it is more telling about the sharpness of the energy transfer process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
The red area specifically indicates where the bat was shaky or vibrating (contact). Compare your cuts as a grown man to the younger girls. Their red area is much larger than yours will be. This is telling you that their contact was not as solid and a lot of the energy of the ball was absorbed into the bat rather than directly reflected back into the ball. This is how the service rep at Zepp explained it to me.
The foot placement when setting up a batter needs to be sure to place the feet where the front foot LANDS at contact, not in the "ready" position. I made that mistake initially, and it looked as if every ball I hit was really deep in the plate, late, or was way outside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 27, 2010
NJ
if an overhead image of the bat path shows the bat angled to hit the ball foul, yet the observation is that the ball was hit down the middle, what adjustment would need to be made to obtain an agreement with the observed result?

I think if you switch to the bat plane overhead view you see a good image of the bat angle at impact.

Another thing I like from the over head is seeing where DD hits the inside vs outside pitch. She is out by her stride foot on the inside pitch and definitely lets it travel on the outside. Of course after the hit everything out in front thread this is a contradiction.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut