WTH? High School Varsity Letter in MarioKart?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
I don't consider video games to be a sport or an activity that takes real skill. Basketball, football, hockey, etc are real sports that take skill. Marching band, dance, drama club are activities that take skill. Button mashing on a video game controller does not qualify for a varsity letter in my opinion, the same way that competitive farting does not qualify for a varsity letter. Varsity letter do not need to be given out for every possible thing a person can do.

This seems more like a way to ensure that everyone gets a trophy type of deal to me. That is the way I see it.

Tell me you're a hundred years old without telling me you're a hundred years old.

Things you do not understand can have value.

eSports are a great way for kids who do not have the physical athleticism needed to play a traditional sport to compete (of course, our best Rocket League player is also one of our better soccer players), be part of a team, and represent their school. A real eSports team practices just as much as any other team. They're held to the same standards as athletes for grades, behavior, etc.

If you believe a varsity letter should be strictly for traditional sports, I disagree, but OK. But it appears you think varsity letters should also goes to those in marching bad, dance, and drama club. If that's the case, then there's no logical argument for not also including a competitive eSports team. Mastering any game certainly takes just as much skill as any of those other activities. If it didn't, anybody could do it. Even you.

Jun 8, 2016
I have no problem with it. Even if they don't deserve a varsity letter (which I am not saying) it isn't like getting one puts you at a competitive advantage for the rest of your life..

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
Illinois
If you believe a varsity letter should be strictly for traditional sports, I disagree, but OK. But it appears you think varsity letters should also goes to those in marching bad, dance, and drama club. If that's the case, then there's no logical argument for not also including a competitive eSports team. Mastering any game certainly takes just as much skill as any of those other activities. If it didn't, anybody could do it. Even you.

There is a big difference in dance, or cheerleading. The girls (sometimes boys) that participate in those activities certainly perform a much higher level of athleticism than Esports. I would consider the people that participate in dance and cheer to be every bit as athletic as the people that play sports that involve a ball.

I would also consider marching band and drama club to require more skill than Esports. Not in the form of athleticism but both marching band and drama club do include physical activity. There is no real physical activity in Esports. That would be my logical argument not to include Esports with the other activities that I mentioned.

Jun 8, 2016
We have a cousin that was part of an e-sports college team, cardio, stretching and some lifting was a requirement of the program.
I think the bold should be part of any e-sports program at any level regardless of whether it helps them play better just from the perspective of fostering a healthy lifestyle. By default “traditional” sports do this already. I might go so far as saying any HS extracurricular, regardless of whether it is a physical activity, should include this sort of component if the participant isn’t already involved in a traditional “sport”. Doesn’t have to be more than going on a 2 mile walk as a group 3 times a week..

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414