Wrapping glove between games/ practices

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2021
My daughter has been using this Markwort Glove Guard for a year now- and it is perfect, keeps the pocket and does not squeeze the sides of the glove. Its on Amazon

1644039275137.png

Jan 8, 2019
My reply was actually to Lemond -- thanks for the link. We have the Hot Wrap and did well to form the pocket. But, right, like Pattar noted, the shape is now like a clamshell. Of course, not unexpected. But, at what point do you say (if you do) we don't need the wrap anymore and just cross fingers that you have a nice, broken in glove with a formed pocket and it stays that way. Interesting that as I looked this up there really isn't anything mentioned about "best practice" about keeping a pocket aside from keeping a ball in it (nothing -- or very little -- about wrapping).
We have used the Mizuno all the time. I see @pattar ‘s point and somewhat agree. When first breaking in the gloves, I was wrapping it tightly, and noticed the curl. I don’t pull the wrap as tightly anymore, and it seems to be pretty good. I use it on two gloves, and DD on hers for the last couple of years.

I also keep a softball plus a baseball under the SB in the pocket to keep the pocket full and a little higher. I can’t remember where I picked that up, but it works for me.

I can’t imagine that it matters a ton which method/gizmo you use, as long as you have something to keep the pocket intact throughout the life of the glove.

Jan 8, 2019
I would love to hear how the pros store their gloves. For some reason, I‘m guessing they don’t store them with a ball in them, but spread wide. Anyone know for sure?

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Nope. But I'd be interested in the answer also.

DD was a catcher so I had her store her mitt with a ball in it inside her catchers helmet. It worked very well. After seeing how well it worked for her mitt, she started putting her fielders glove in her batting helmet with a ball in the pocket. That one didn't work out so well since it kept falling out of the batters helmet. We ended up getter a Dollar General bath towel for $3, wrapping the fielders glove and ball in it and stored it in her batt helmet. Problem solved. Heck, I didn't even find out about glove wraps until she was off to college.

Dec 19, 2021
DD1 has done similar to above, ball in web, glove in batting helmet. Glove goes in fingers first, towards the back, then slide the heel down towards the face guard. Glove stays in fine for her, but she wears a pretty small helmet. Glove is a Liberty Advanced and still holds shape well after 3 years. I like that the helmet protects the glove from being smashed in the bag.

Oct 4, 2018
Thanks. Tho' I was asking if you do have the wraps, are they used even when a glove has already been broken in? So, does it harm the glove by keeping it tightly wrapped or is it a recommended way to go?

You keep it wrapped when not in use. Forever. :)

Jul 14, 2018
DD kept hers wrapped in a hot glove band during the break-in process. Once it had the shape & feel she likes, she just keeps a ball in the pocket and puts it inside her batting helmet while it’s in her bag.

Wilson A2000, just over two years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G&G

Dec 28, 2020
DD1 wraps her A2000 in an ACE bandage with a ball in the pocket. She wraps the bandage firmly, but not tight. It keeps the ball in place without curling the side of the glove. It takes her about 15 seconds to wrap it, but she does get funny looks from people sometimes.