World Series experiences and tips ...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 24, 2012
World Series / National Championship, whatever ..

Want to ensure we give our girls every experience that should have this year. Any tips for must dos for the WS? We'll be in KC, MO at 12C, USSSA.

Thanks

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
I can speak only about USSSA in Salisbury MD as I haven't been to the other USSSA sites.

1. Pins, you will need pins and a towel or lanyard for the girls to stick them on after trading. Seems minor but is by far the best part for most 12U teams especially in the "C" level. They are there more for experience and fun so the pin trading at opening ceremonies is great for them. Ensure coaches have about 10 extra pins. 1 for each team you play that way the coach can trade a pin with each team at home plate.

2. Gift exchange seemed like fun for the teams that chose to do it.

3. Make this your last USSSA WS outside of Orlando. I'm not a big fan of the regional WS that USSSA hosts and have heard that the experience in Orlando is amazing.

4. Opening ceremonies are usually great.

Hope you enjoy I know the girls will.

Oct 24, 2012
Great ideas. Outside of these, any off the field things you did with your team that made the weekend special or different from the other tournaments?

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
Well Salisbury MD is very close to Ocean City MD and there is an unlimited number of items you can do. We did Go Carts, Amusement Park and dinner together. Being as local as we were to that location many people didn't stay in a hotel and drove back and forth so not all the girls attended the group events.

Sep 11, 2014
Pa
I am taking my team to the World Series in Salisbury this year. This will be our first World Series. We can't wait.

Can you talk about the pin and gift exchange a little more. Do the players exchange with the teams they play or everyone? Coaches just exchange with opponent?

For the gift exchange, what kind of gifts are they? How much and how many?

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
The pin exchange is done at opening ceremonies and with anyone they want to trade with. Opening ceremonies is either at the Shore Birds stadium (Orioles minor league team) or in the Wicomico county event center. The outside one is way better. 16/18U do there's on the beach. Basically each girl on your team has a set number of pins and a towel or lanyard to attach their newly acquired pins too. 12-15 pins is about perfect and for 14 girls can run between $500-$1000 depending on quality. The girls basically run around trading with teams from different states, my girls tried to get the non DE/MD teams as we played them multiple times throughout the year.

The gift exchange was a separate sign up that came with additional information. I never signed up for it so I'm not too sure but if you contact Bill Dowell (USSSA President) or Stephanie Smith who handles most of these issues they can provide you with that info. You can get there contact info if you don't have it at USSSA Delaware & Maryland Youth Fast Pitch Softball. Overall it's not a bad tournament and the girls will have fun, but there are much cheaper events than the $1200+ price tag that this one comes with.

Enjoy and good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan