World Cup of Softball: USA vs Canada-RULES DIFFERENCE

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2013
Lol. It's unfortunate you seem very trollish...

I am suggesting that this style of pitching has been around for a long time, and even taught in certain circles. and im a troll? or trollish? I just have to shake my head. Help me understand who or what I am trolling. What could I possibly gain from VOLUNTEERING INFORMATION? wow....

martianr

Softball DAD
Jan 26, 2014
Whiting, Iowa
I have trying to contact Michelle smith through twitter to have her explain how ally carda is legal when she is obviously double plants. As usual she is a sell out by trying to explain to us how difficult international pitching is. She won't reply. Just like she never even talked about the leap how it differs from college pitching.

Mar 1, 2016
It's my understanding that leaping is allowed EVERYWHERE else in the world for both men and women. It's not clear why we can't evolve.

The international rules listed above are all superior to their NCAA counterparts.

Fast pitch softball was invented in the United States in the 1930's, the original rules were drafted in the United States, the United States dominates the sport historically. I suspect that the rules allowing for leaping in international play is an attempt to compensate for pitchers in other countries not being able to bring the heat without it. Maybe instead of the United States evolving ( or should I say devolving) to a particular rule set, it seems to make more sense that pitchers in other countries should just learn proper mechanics and work hard to hone their skills. Of course, the proper mechanics thing can apply to a few pitchers here in the United States as well, but that discussion is in another thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2013
I have trying to contact Michelle smith through twitter to have her explain how ally carda is legal when she is obviously double plants. As usual she is a sell out by trying to explain to us how difficult international pitching is. She won't reply. Just like she never even talked about the leap how it differs from college pitching.

I mentioned earlier this has been taught for years (8-10, and I was laughed at, called a troll), i also mentioned carda. i also mentioned Google. Carda graduated in 2011. 6 years ago! Everyone keeps pointing at College, this style was going on long before she entered college. ASA had no issue with it, all the way to a national title for her in 16U. At some point one's whining can stop once it is accepted its been here for at least a decade and its not going away AND more importantly, NO level is calling this illegal. Not from ASA to PGF to NCAA. why is this so hard to understand? again, google is your friend in backing ALL of my statements.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I mentioned earlier this has been taught for years (8-10, and I was laughed at, called a troll), i also mentioned carda. i also mentioned Google. Carda graduated in 2011. 6 years ago! Everyone keeps pointing at College, this style was going on long before she entered college. ASA had no issue with it, all the way to a national title for her in 16U. At some point one's whining can stop once it is accepted its been here for at least a decade and its not going away AND more importantly, NO level is calling this illegal. Not from ASA to PGF to NCAA. why is this so hard to understand? again, google is your friend in backing ALL of my statements.

The reason Carda leaps is not by design, but due to poor mechanics. Like Barnhill, Nevins, Silkwood, etc. it is not part of some grand plan. Again the most plausible explanation for you having this impression is it that you have been observing a small group of pitchers with poor mechanics and possibly even worse pitching instructors. Just as there are still people teaching HE, squish the bug, etc. I am sure there are some folks teaching other "unique" methods. This seems like an example of causation without correlation. Kind of like how there are more drownings at the beach when hot dog and ice cream sales increase. There is a similar pattern but there is absolutely no correlation between the two. Just because there are some pitchers with success pitching illegally due to poor mechanics, it is a stretch that this is because it has been taught for close to a decade and the method is somehow mainstream.

There have been pitchers with poor mechanics for many years and there will be for many more. The question is do we really want to open the game to an influx of poor pitchers for the sake of convenience? If you think daddy ball is bad now, watch what happens when you make it easier to pitch. Likewise do we want to provide an advantage to the truly elite and increase the distance between the good, the bad, an the ugly?

You say Google is your friend. Please provide some links to current information from reputable instructors who are teaching the methods you claim. No white balls. No obscure instructors. I think if you look closely at what is actually taught by the best instructors in the game (today) you will find you are way out on the fringe on this.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2013
The reason Carda leaps is not by design, but due to poor mechanics. Like Barnhill, Nevins, Silkwood, etc. it is not part of some grand plan. Again the most plausible explanation for you having this impression is it that you have been observing a small group of pitchers with poor mechanics and possibly even worse pitching instructors. Just as there are still people teaching HE, squish the bug, etc. I am sure there are some folks teaching other "unique" methods. This seems like an example of causation without correlation. Kind of like how there are more drownings at the beach when hot dog and ice cream sales increase. There is a similar pattern but there is absolutely no correlation between the two. Just because there are some pitchers with success pitching illegally due to poor mechanics, it is a stretch that this is because it has been taught for close to a decade and the method is somehow mainstream.

There have been pitchers with poor mechanics for many years and there will be for many more. The question is do we really want to open the game to an influx of poor pitchers for the sake of convenience? If you think daddy ball is bad now, watch what happens when you make it easier to pitch. Likewise do we want to provide an advantage to the truly elite and increase the distance between the good, the bad, an the ugly?

You say Google is your friend. Please provide some links to current information from reputable instructors who are teaching the methods you claim. No white balls. No obscure instructors. I think if you look closely at what is actually taught by the best instructors in the game (today) you will find you are way out on the fringe on this.

We agree on one thing. yes, in fact way out on a fringe is a VERY accurate. Let's not immediately question the reputation of the coach, STOP. This is not a skill set shown to 95% of girls. The girls we are conversing about are doing this for damn good reason and their success in this sport speaks for itself. A lot of people don't know who these girls are BEFORE they are on a tv screen so they fail to comprehend that they have been doing this for a reason for years.

Leaping is illegal.
Having no visible air between your cleat and plane/dirt is legal. (probably by definition: "not leaping", lol)

I can swiftly, but I am NOT going give you 2011 or even all the way through 2018 graduates Skills Video's of D1 young ladies long before they were recruited all showing the taught SKILL. Absurd to think I would post videos here so people can thrash young ladies who not only have finished their stellar collegiate careers, but are in fact 13-16 years old doing what they are shown and what they have seen live and in person at games from their older peers for YEARS.

Apr 12, 2013
here is something for you to chew on.

What is the difference between an umpire who is 6'2 vs an umpire who is 5'8"? get back to me. We have been taught a clear and concise difference when it comes to the topic of leap vs no leap. I will give you all day.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2013
Fast pitch softball was invented in the United States in the 1930's, the original rules were drafted in the United States, the United States dominates the sport historically. I suspect that the rules allowing for leaping in international play is an attempt to compensate for pitchers in other countries not being able to bring the heat without it. Maybe instead of the United States evolving ( or should I say devolving) to a particular rule set, it seems to make more sense that pitchers in other countries should just learn proper mechanics and work hard to hone their skills. Of course, the proper mechanics thing can apply to a few pitchers here in the United States as well, but that discussion is in another thread.

You do realize that the International Fastpitch Federation (ISF) headquarters are in Plant City, Florida and the USA has a huge influence of shaping the international rules of fastpitch.

In addition, the rules are constantly being evaluated for the betterment of the game. Seems silly to have a requirement like "leap and drag" if the governing bodies refuse to enforce it. There was time for making pitchers drag the pivot foot in an attempt to decrease the effectiveness of the pitcher but the modern game has become way too offensive driven with the lowering of the high strike zone, composite bats, and better conditioned athletes for hitting. It's not if they will change the rule, but when.

Mar 1, 2016
You do realize that the International Fastpitch Federation (ISF) headquarters are in Plant City, Florida and the USA has a huge influence of shaping the international rules of fastpitch.

In addition, the rules are constantly being evaluated for the betterment of the game. Seems silly to have a requirement like "leap and drag" if the governing bodies refuse to enforce it. There was time for making pitchers drag the pivot foot in an attempt to decrease the effectiveness of the pitcher but the modern game has become way too offensive driven with the lowering of the high strike zone, composite bats, and better conditioned athletes for hitting. It's not if they will change the rule, but when.

I'm well aware of where ISF is located and how much influence USA does or doesn't have. Don't condescend. It's unbecoming.

I'm simply suggesting that since the sport was invented and developed in the good ol' USA, then maybe we ought to be taking the lead in rule development. USA conforming to rules that seem to have been developed in order to compensate for weaker competition internationally is just the tail wagging the dog. I, for one, feel much better about my shooting accomplishment if I trained hard enough to consistently hit the bulls eye instead of just shooting in the general vicinity of it and then saying whatever I hit was the bulls eye.

We had a girl come work out with DD's team earlier today who has been living in Australia for the last 8 years and has learned almost everything she knows about softball while there. She's a pitcher. She was taught to leap because it's legal there. Now that they have moved back to the USA, her mother says that she is going to have to work harder to learn how to pitch properly without the leap. We asked why she was instructed to leap. "It's easier and makes the pitchers more competitive" came the reply.

Nov 29, 2009
Another meaningful discussion point that NOBODY can explain to me.

When the 2 feet on rubber, no leap rules were invented we used cork balls that softened and wooden bats. Now it's polycore and titanium. Why is one side allowed to advance but the other cannot?

Bill

It's simple. Offense puts butts in the seats. While the softball purists will admire one of your 14K No, No's. It's boring to the novice observer. They would rather see 4 dingers hit in a game instead of an outstanding performance by one individual.

The NFL has gone to QB's with monster arms rather than watch a team grind out a few hundred yards on the ground with the occasional runner breaking one for a long gain. Many of the rules are geared towards allowing the offense an advantage.

The NHL has gone to 3 skaters in OT if tied. Lotsa free-wheeling skating and speed with the faster guys in the league now and more ice to work with. More excitement for the fans.

The only sport that I know of where people are excited with a 0-0 tie is soccer.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mkhill45