Wonderful advice for TB Coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
How many of those who rode the bench on that 23 player roster signed a Division I/II deal? Probably not many. I suspect most end up at a smaller 4-year or a JUCO on the strength of their HS play and perhaps the name on their TB jersey. There's certainly nothing wrong with playing at a smaller school, but that same outcome could be accomplished without the sitting or the high-dollar expenditure, and with far more actual playing. As I mentioned previously, nearly all of DD's team mates are in or on their way to a college program ranging from JUCO to Div I. That outcome came from being on a solid team with smaller roster of mostly the same players over the course of several years.

Even the top players on top travel teams learn the bench.
They compete heavily for starting spots for nationals.
Even with that the entire roster can go D1 at that level...if they want.

Last edited:
May 7, 2015
SoCal
Haha.. we've moved on to Coach Tarr's good friend? I thought that we were discussing this response, from the coach herself..

Heather Tarr's response: Carry bigger rosters and teach your girls how to compete for playing time.

Jun 4, 2014
I was researching the reaction to this and saw she said the exact same thing last year at the NFCA convention. The reaction to it was pretty much the same as it is now.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I was researching the reaction to this and saw she said the exact same thing last year at the NFCA convention. The reaction to it was pretty much the same as it is now.
Did you find any more context to it?

Jun 4, 2014
No. Eerily similar. Someone posted she said this. A couple people jump on right away and said how great it was, then they were consumed by a wave of rationality.

Feb 3, 2016
All of this depends on the interested parties. Where's your DD in this journey? Tons of factors you can't control. The ones you can control its usually up to parents to help guide.

Top 25 programs trying to win and be relevant. Winning attracts top players wanting to compete on a winning team. Coaches keep their jobs by putting the best product on the field possible. Probably not worried about the 13 kids on the bench so much. Other than are the 13 sitting ready and available when I need them? If you're not the best you're sitting or being replaced. It's a shame a player can be that good making a Top D1 team and never playing.

All other programs are doing something similar. They might not have all those top echelon players but try with the resources available including players they need. Just not as much depth.

Top travel teams emulate the above. Right or wrong. Looks like 50/50 split here on approval.

All other teams in softball. Trying to do the best they can with all that goes into this sport. Trying to be fair, whatever that means. Some player somewhere is getting a raw deal. Just ask.

The new move to showcase individual players with the new National league announced this year along with National metrics database. Don't forget the existing services documenting players abilities. Over 15,000 athletes measured to date and counting! Of course if you don't play or attend these camps nobody sees 👀 you.

I'm sure a ton of superstars get a reality check when compared Nationally.
Keep hearing so many teams have popped up now that the talent is now watered down. Guess everyone got the playing time they deserve, or wanted. Does that make softball better?? Is it making your DD better?
Maybe it's good for the player(s) time on the field, but not so much for growing the best softball players. Grow your DD by making her compete.
A bench is lonely somewhere waiting for a player. Probably mine.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Even the top players on top travel teams learn the bench.
They compete heavily for starting spots for nationals.
Even with that the entire roster can go D1 at that level...if they want.

Sorry, I don't buy it. Perhaps a dedicated pitcher spends time on the bench, a catcher splitting time, or a player sitting out an inning or so, but I'd need some specific examples of position players who got to D1 sitting on their travel team's bench. That just doesn't fit the resume of the D1 players I know of first-hand.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
Sorry, I don't buy it. Perhaps a dedicated pitcher spends time on the bench, a catcher splitting time, or a player sitting out an inning or so, but I'd need some specific examples of position players who got to D1 sitting on their travel team's bench. That just doesn't fit the resume of the D1 players I know of first-hand.

What don't you buy? Do you want me to start name dropping? Not my ORG, but look at Corona Angels Tyson. 23 Rostered, 16 of them are 2021 and ALL go to D1 (and BIG D1). Obviously, there's not 16 starters. My good friends DD went to Ilinois from CA Tyson, she was a backup. I've given similar examples from my DD's org. I know its the exact same for Athletics Mercado, So Cal Choppers, FC Rico, etc. I don't know your area, so obviously I can't claim to know what happens there. But this is what happens here in my area.

Anyway, sorry for the repeated back and forth. It seems like we're both pretty entrenched in our own opinions (which is good)

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Its easy enough to look up travel ball top tier rosters and see where those players are commited too. For anyone who wants confirmation.
Or would like to set a goal!

Part of why people are amazed at this is sometimes because they dont get to experience playing the top top tier. Things like playing in the idt. Or the final sat & sun at pgf premier national's. Plus other prestigious venues. Its elite!

Heres a great event to watch or play in~
So cal Athletics hosts an invite of the top 20
18u teams in the nation.
In the summer irvine calif..
Its like watching next years WCWS teams competing.
Just about 20 players per roster, usually everyone already committed easily majority going D1.
With a swarm of top of the top colleges watching their incomming talent..
This is one of the best events in so cal.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Perhaps your not familiar with showcasing playing time?
Thats when players rotate playing time so each can get recruited.
Often there are players who already are recruited. And they may sit more during a showcase so their teamate can get playing time.

They also play friendlies where playing time is split.
It's part of how they compete with eachother for playing time in tournys and nationals.

Another example is a young player on a top national team.
Their first year they may sit much more and next year earn the spot after senior player moves up.
Or simply start kicken rear and earn it and the other sits!:)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA