Wonderful advice for TB Coaches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
What don't you buy? Do you want me to start name dropping? Not my ORG, but look at Corona Angels Tyson. 23 Rostered, 16 of them are 2021 and ALL go to D1 (and BIG D1). Obviously, there's not 16 starters. My good friends DD went to Ilinois from CA Tyson, she was a backup. I've given similar examples from my DD's org. I know its the exact same for Athletics Mercado, So Cal Choppers, FC Rico, etc. I don't know your area, so obviously I can't claim to know what happens there. But this is what happens here in my area.

Anyway, sorry for the repeated back and forth. It seems like we're both pretty entrenched in our own opinions (which is good)

I understand what you're saying, and I don't dispute that those teams have big rosters. What I don't buy is a player getting recruited to Div 1 softball from a travel team where they spend most of their time not playing...the exception being a pitcher or maybe a catcher. Unless those teams rotate their whole lineup with each game, I'd contend that their HS or a previous team where that reserve IF/OF actually played was a greater factor in their recruitment. Yeah, the area I live isn't as dense with teams as SOCAL, but it's still pretty strong for softball. The Div 1 players I know didn't spend much time on the bench at any point in their pre-college careers.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Perhaps your not familiar with showcasing playing time?
Thats when players rotate playing time so each can get recruited.
Often there are players who already are recruited. And they may sit more during a showcase so their teamate can get playing time.

They also play friendlies where playing time is split.
It's part of how they compete with eachother for playing time in tournys and nationals.

Another example is a young player on a top national team.
Their first year they may sit much more and next year earn the spot after senior player moves up.
Or simply start kicken rear and earn it and the other sits!:)

I'm thoroughly familiar with all of that. Some of the bigger orgs in my area also have "national" teams with bigger rosters. The players I see on those are typically already committed when they join. The team lists it on their website and it looks impressive, but did nothing to make it happen.

Aug 8, 2016
What don't you buy? Do you want me to start name dropping? Not my ORG, but look at Corona Angels Tyson. 23 Rostered, 16 of them are 2021 and ALL go to D1 (and BIG D1). Obviously, there's not 16 starters. My good friends DD went to Ilinois from CA Tyson, she was a backup. I've given similar examples from my DD's org. I know its the exact same for Athletics Mercado, So Cal Choppers, FC Rico, etc. I don't know your area, so obviously I can't claim to know what happens there. But this is what happens here in my area.

Anyway, sorry for the repeated back and forth. It seems like we're both pretty entrenched in our own opinions (which is good)

So this good friends DD spent her entire career on the bench as a backup or was it just the last year or two after committing?

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I'm thoroughly familiar with all of that. Some of the bigger orgs in my area also have "national" teams with bigger rosters. The players I see on those are typically already committed when they join. The team lists it on their website and it looks impressive, but did nothing to make it happen.
Agree there are different ways players get recruited. And its not always on there current team.

This conversation about playing time includes D1 players who sit during their travel ball years.
This happens!

Could bring up a list of players and students while following there teams. Really the names are irrelevant. Its knowing that team rosters of 20 do not only play 12 while 8 players never play throughout the year.

There is competing for the #1 spot in all ages /levels of travel ball.

To add a little more perspective~
When talented 14,15,16 year olds are asked to play for top 18u teams in the nation.
There is already impressive talent on the team. Already recruited talent on the team.
Often younger players or
unrecruited players step onto teams whose teammates are already going to
Oklahoma
Florida
Washington
Ucla....
In these dynamics a
non-recruited player can have enormous pressure to perform.
They learn competition from the inside, on their teams!

The recruited players on the team have to keep performing as the younger talent pushes to grow. Plus other recruited players push to be starters.
Hitting? Whose hitting;)!
They learn competition from the inside, on their teams.

As a side note
Early recruitment having stopped....has changed when players can get recruited.
Already this aspect has less D1 recruited talent joining top tier 16 & 18 teams.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2013
Texas

Yup! Here's the deal. For top level teams(top 75) that play around the country, you HAVE to carry a big roster. I can't remember a tourney where we had all players show up at the same time, including practices. There are many working parts that pull players especially at the HS ages. (injuries, SAT/ACT, Camps, Senior Dances, FFA, funerals, etc) If you sat and followed a team through out an entire tournament, they don't throw out the same starting 9 every game if they are worth a darn. There might be some kids that play 100% of the innings, but all the kids on these will get playing time. If they don't they will move teams. Coaches need all of the players. For the most part 96% of the players on these will be on a college roster in the fall...how long they last is another story.

College team stories. Girl from our area really wanted to go to a Big Green Ivy, they didn't want her. She told me before her Sr year that she doesn't think college softball is going to happen for her. Time is a ticking. She ends patiently waiting and gets accepted to a NESCAC school. She starts out as 3rd string catcher. 2 injured catchers later, by the end of conference play she is the starter. And to top it off she gets to start in the D3 Women's College World Series! How cool is that?

DD's team was in great shape at the beginning of the fall season. Starting catcher tells team she is done. Starting pitcher gets sideways with coaches and quits during the fall. 3rd catcher can't throw over hand, due to injury. 2 starting pitchers become academically ineligible from fall classes. Another player is diagnosed with brain cancer who later passes away. Senior OF is working to come back from ACL, season ends, and she doesn't get a chance to finish. What does all this mean? You need a bigger roster than you think! Her team was skating on thin ice and DD was worn out. They had one bench fielder and three Pitchers getting ready to pitch for a 3 games series. Scary!! DD was okay with season ending early as it had taken a toll her physically and mentally.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yup! Here's the deal. For top level teams(top 75) that play around the country, you HAVE to carry a big roster. I can't remember a tourney where we had all players show up at the same time, including practices. There are many working parts that pull players especially at the HS ages. (injuries, SAT/ACT, Camps, Senior Dances, FFA, funerals, etc) If you sat and followed a team through out an entire tournament, they don't throw out the same starting 9 every game if they are worth a darn. There might be some kids that play 100% of the innings, but all the kids on these will get playing time. If they don't they will move teams. Coaches need all of the players. For the most part 96% of the players on these will be on a college roster in the fall...how long they last is another story.

College team stories. Girl from our area really wanted to go to a Big Green Ivy, they didn't want her. She told me before her Sr year that she doesn't think college softball is going to happen for her. Time is a ticking. She ends patiently waiting and gets accepted to a NESCAC school. She starts out as 3rd string catcher. 2 injured catchers later, by the end of conference play she is the starter. And to top it off she gets to start in the D3 Women's College World Series! How cool is that?

DD's team was in great shape at the beginning of the fall season. Starting catcher tells team she is done. Starting pitcher gets sideways with coaches and quits during the fall. 3rd catcher can't throw over hand, due to injury. 2 starting pitchers become academically ineligible from fall classes. Another player is diagnosed with brain cancer who later passes away. Senior OF is working to come back from ACL, season ends, and she doesn't get a chance to finish. What does all this mean? You need a bigger roster than you think! Her team was skating on thin ice and DD was worn out. They had one bench fielder and three Pitchers getting ready to pitch for a 3 games series. Scary!! DD was okay with season ending early as it had taken a toll her physically and mentally.
Know of a D2 college in Riverside ca. They have a nursing program allow athletes to do.

Their roster normal to start off with 30 to 35.
Always a few quit schedule to demanding.
Usually about 8-10 become acedemically ineligible.
Then injuries...

Apr 28, 2014
Not sure what's so hard here?
We have 16 on the roster last summer we had 18.
Played a total of 85 games for the year. You play 3 games a day usually so each kid gets about one and half games on the field and about the same on the bench.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Not sure what's so hard here?
We have 16 on the roster last summer we had 18.
Played a total of 85 games for the year. You play 3 games a day usually so each kid gets about one and half games on the field and about the same on the bench.
I think people think that because 18 are on a roster, that only 9 are good enough to start and play the entire game. Yes, that might happen game to game, but there is a reason these coaches have Catcher A1 and Catcher A2 and this goes for every position for the most part. You might have a sophomore on an 18U team that is developing behind a Senior, but that Senior will sitting on the bench too. DD's TB coach wanted more on the roster so those players don't become complacent and they have someone pushing them to get better. Sucks having 9 Seniors with a bad case of Senioritis.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06