Wisdom teeth

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
So, the 15-year-old is about to have 4 wisdom teeth removed. How long will she be on the shelf from softball, for anyone who has had teenagers who got them out?

She's having them out on a Tuesday morning, has a tournament Saturday-Sunday. It's OK if she sits out that tournament. We and she are not pushing it.

But just curious. I know it's not the same course for everybody who has it done.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I had 4 taken out and played that night. The wife had 2 taken out and was down for a few days. She had "dry sockets" and was in immense pain. I felt so bad for her as she is pretty tough. So, I guess I'm saying that you just don't know.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
If it goes well she should be ok. Follow directions well and do the rinsing/brushing as prescribed. Keeping her mouth clean is key. If she get something in it or dry sockets then it turns into weeks of pain. Other factor will be her reaction to the meds. Usually will get a few days of like hydrocodone or similar. She will be happy to have them come day 2. Some people may be tired and groggy from the pain meds, others may feel like pitching 2 games in a row:

Dec 19, 2012
It all depends on the individual. My wife looked like death warmed over for 5 or 6 days and then was good to go. I on the other hand never took any meds and was perfectly fine with zero pain until day 5 when I ended up with 3 dry sockets. Dry sockets are holes in your mouth that go straight to the jawbone. I got the dry sockets because I quit following the directions given to me after the surgery, thinking I was healed.

iFastpitch

All Out, All Day
Apr 28, 2014
The Diamonds
I know it's not the same course for everybody who has it done.

That is your answer. Are the teeth soft tissue or bony impacted? That makes a HUGE difference. Everyone heals differently. Just be sure to follow the advice of your oral surgeon. Don't rush it. Ever heard the expression, "It's like pulling teeth." There is a reason for that. ;)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Just another "it varies" response.

For my DW, she had hers removed by an oral surgeon under significant anesthesia, was in pain for months due to a variety of issues, and needed to make a second trip to the OS.

For me, my regular dentist popped them out under local anesthesia, in his office. That said, it was one at a time, at different times, and I still have the top 2.

iFastpitch

All Out, All Day
Apr 28, 2014
The Diamonds
Dry sockets are holes in your mouth that go straight to the jawbone. I got the dry sockets because I quit following the directions given to me after the surgery, thinking I was healed.

Dry socket is actually called alveolar osteitis. If the healing blood clot comes out prematurely from the open socket the alveolar (jaw) bone becomes inflammed. Hence the pain resulting. Not much you can do for dry socket other than ibuprofen (or stronger doctor prescription) and normal healing by primary intention after 7-10 days. Listen to your oral surgeon, always. ;)

Mar 11, 2009
My DD had hers out on a Thursday(School ball pics the next day, no good scheduling on my part). Her mouth very swollen for three days. Was practicing and playing the next Tuesday. No complications during recovery.

Feb 7, 2013
15yo kids are tough and heal quickly. I would think she will be fine after a couple of days. Remember lots of frozen yogurt and ice cream!

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
Not an answer to your question because you've already got that but a new piece of advice: have her sleep in a reclining chair. If she takes the fun meds it'll be easy to sleep in any position and the almost upright will keep the swelling down by letting everything drain out.

Good luck to her!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors