winter blues

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2011
it's so cold here. Snow on the ground. High temps in the 20s. We have limited space inside the house and a lack of funds to get the DD to a gym. About a month ago I started the DD (and the DS) on a pretty lame workout program. They do burpees, planks, pushups and bicycle crunches 3 times per week. They also do a bat routine where they take 10 cuts with a heavy bat, 10 with a light bat, and repeat a few times. And basically... that's it. Figure we will hit speed and agility training in the Spring. Anyway, anyone else from a northern climate have any other suggestions?? Am I on the right track??

Last edited:

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I am feelin it too. It is going to be a brutally cold weekend. The kid's speed and agility coach moved to the other side of town, and I don't feel like driving them that far. The few facilities on this side of town charge $150+ for what he did for $35 each. Oldest called most of the crossfit places in town, they don't have anything for anyone under 17. I can give them routines at the Y, but they don't get any "inspiration" from me to push themselves.
I got the batting cage done in the basement last month, so that is something to do, but they are wanting more.

Get a 4kg kettlebell and a 10lb medicine ball. Go to youtube and search for basic exercises for the kettlebell and core/rotational exercises for the med ball.

Adding these two things to your routine will be a HUGE upgrade and both the kids will be stronger and more fit because of them.

Nov 21, 2012
New England
I am feelin it too. It is going to be a brutally cold weekend. The kid's speed and agility coach moved to the other side of town, and I don't feel like driving them that far. The few facilities on this side of town charge $150+ for what he did for $35 each. Oldest called most of the crossfit places in town, they don't have anything for anyone under 17. I can give them routines at the Y, but they don't get any "inspiration" from me to push themselves.
I got the batting cage done in the basement last month, so that is something to do, but they are wanting more.

Batting cage in the basement? Love to see some pics of that. Been trying to figure out how to do that for 2 years. How big is your basement?

May 31, 2009
If you have room to set up a net in the basement or garage, buy this soft toss machine (Beebe Sports Inc.) and they can practice hitting everyday by themselves. Great product for kids to use to practice hitting a moving ball.

Jan 28, 2011
Bucket
I feel your pain. We live in Michigan. This is the time of year where we do a ton of T work. We have a net in the basement and a dozen TCB's. We also have an insider bat with 50 or so tennis balls. She works out with another team because our team shuts down for November and December. My daughter also has a pitching rubber and our basement in long enough to get the actual 43 feet plus some. Also any type of conditioning will payoff. Twice a week is a good routine, three times if you are able to. I have to tell my daughter she is not only competing with the girls here in Michigan but the girls from the sunny warm states that are practicing outside. It's hard to stay motivated, but keep working and encouraging her, and she will see payoff in the spring.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors