Wilson A2k 1721 vs Wilson A2k David Wright

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Who is this Wilson for, you or your DD? If for your DD, what age and what position?

As far as the natural progression to the next size Wilson (baseball) glove......I would have absolutely recommended a 12” DW5! I don’t deal with a lot of Wilson gloves these days so I had no idea the DW5 was discontinued! Remember, the 12” DW5 actually measures 11.75”

What about a custom Wilson? The DW5 is still available as a custom, it’s very spendy, but it’s an option!

Maybe reach out to @Westwind, he ordered his DD a custom DW5, he can definitely give you more answers than I can!

Are you 100% stuck on a Wilson? What about custom 12” Pro Preferred? Comparable to a A2K, you could get a custom 12” Pro206 Pro Preferred for a heck of a lot cheaper than a Wilson custom!

The new A2k would be for my 11u daughter. She plays SS for the most part unless she is pitching. Her old glove is an A2k 1787, it has been a great glove so I am partial to the A2k series.

Her TB team is also sponsored by Wilson, so they are kind of forced to use Wilson bats and gloves. I am sure no one is going to actually come on to the field and take a non Wilson glove out of her hand though.
I can purchase a A2k 1721 for $250, so that was why I was asking about the A2k 1721.

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Here's ya go!

Thank you for the link.

This A2k 1721 has got me thinking still. I would not say that her A2k 1787 had a deep pocket when brand new. Over time, while breaking this glove in with a 11" softball the glove did conform to be a great softball glove. Even though that is not what it was intended for. I am wondering if the A2k 1721 will be the same?

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
The new A2k would be for my 11u daughter. She plays SS for the most part unless she is pitching. Her old glove is an A2k 1787, it has been a great glove so I am partial to the A2k series.

Her TB team is also sponsored by Wilson, so they are kind of forced to use Wilson bats and gloves. I am sure no one is going to actually come on to the field and take a non Wilson glove out of her hand though.
I can purchase a A2k 1721 for $250, so that was why I was asking about the A2k 1721.

Your DD sounds exactly like mine, at SS or pitching. Remember, her old 1787 probably started out new actually measuring 11.5", so moving up to a 12" 1721 would be the next logical move, I think it's a safe bet. What web is on her 1787? An I-web or an H-web? Well I say I-web....... :rolleyes:, Wilson calls their I-web a H-web.......go figure?

Anyway if her old glove does in fact have a true "I-web", the H-web on the new 1721 will be a better choice for softball, the H-web breaks in deeper!

Being able to get a A2K for $250 is a no brainer to me, that's $110 off of retail, you can't go wrong! An 11U player using a A2K, Bob you’ve done went and ruined that girl.......I love it!

One last thing, do they offer the 1721 with the Pedroia fit? Doesn't matter, buy the 1721, I bet it'll work great!

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Thank you for the link.

This A2k 1721 has got me thinking still. I would not say that her A2k 1787 had a deep pocket when brand new. Over time, while breaking this glove in with a 11" softball the glove did conform to be a great softball glove. Even though that is not what it was intended for. I am wondering if the A2k 1721 will be the same?
No problem, you're welcome!

As I said in the first reply, a 1721 with an H-web should work out great, H-web is always a solid choice for a softball glove! And you said "even though that is not what it was intended for" Anna has only ever had one "true" FP glove with velcro, she was 10 and it was a POS, baseball gloves ever since!

May 16, 2016
Illinois
Your DD sounds exactly like mine, at SS or pitching. Remember, her old 1787 probably started out new actually measuring 11.5", so moving up to a 12" 1721 would be the next logical move, I think it's a safe bet. What web is on her 1787? An I-web or an H-web? Well I say I-web....... :rolleyes:, Wilson calls their I-web a H-web.......go figure?

Anyway if her old glove does in fact have a true "I-web", the H-web on the new 1721 will be a better choice for softball, the H-web breaks in deeper!

Being able to get a A2K for $250 is a no brainer to me, that's $110 off of retail, you can't go wrong! An 11U player using a A2K, Bob you're done went and ruined that girl.......I love it!

One last thing, do they offer the 1721 with the Pedroia fit? Doesn't matter, buy the 1721, I bet it'll work great!

Her A2k 1787 has an I web.

I ruined her a long time ago. She has had her A2k 1787 since she was an 8u player. :D I could never figure out why so many parents will not spend good money on a glove that will last 4 years but has no problem dropping $300 on a softball bat that only lasts one year.

There is nothing wrong with her A2k 1787 except a 12" ball really fills that glove up. I figure if I purchase a new A2k 1721 it will might not be game ready until after the fall season. So, she will have to use her current A2k for most of the fall.

May 23, 2015

I ruined her a long time ago. She has had her A2k 1787 since she was an 8u player. :D I could never figure out why so many parents will not spend good money on a glove that will last 4 years but has no problem dropping $300 on a softball bat that only lasts one year.

There is nothing wrong with her A2k 1787 except a 12" ball really fills that glove up. I figure if I purchase a new A2k 1721 it will might not be game ready until after the fall season. So, she will have to use her current A2k for most of the fall.
Not sure if it's too late but TIP gives a little more room in that 1787 pocket..even with a 12" ball.

Don't let me talk you out of new leather though. DD looked real hard at the DW5 before opting for the Todd Frazier. Sounds like yours has similar preference as mine. Good luck.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina

Man after my own heart! Lucky young lady!

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Not sure if it's too late but TIP gives a little more room in that 1787 pocket..even with a 12" ball.

Don't let me talk you out of new leather though. DD looked real hard at the DW5 before opting for the Todd Frazier. Sounds like yours has similar preference as mine. Good luck.
I agree with this TIP comment although there’s not enough money to get my DD to try it much less switch!

Lefty, what age is your DD, and how’s the hand stall size on that TF, and how well does it fit her?

May 23, 2015
I agree with this TIP comment although there’s not enough money to get my DD to try it much less switch!

Lefty, what age is your DD, and how’s the hand stall size on that TF, and how well does it fit her?

16. Hand stall fits perfectly. Goes TIP on that one as well.

Knock by some on the TF was big hand stalls/fingerways but she just doesn't have that problem with this mitt.

And understood on switching. Just ain't happening.😆

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ying