Wieght Training

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2010
I have a love hate relationship with lifting during the season. I think there is a happy medium, but I am not sure of what kinds and how often. My dd lifts through out the high school year. What would be an appropriate work out if any at all during the summer?

Dec 20, 2012
I have a love hate relationship with lifting during the season. I think there is a happy medium, but I am not sure of what kinds and how often. My dd lifts through out the high school year. What would be an appropriate work out if any at all during the summer?

Lifting thru the season is great for the girls. Pitchers develop their muscles uneven, throwing side shoulders, arms and back are stronger and larger than nonthrowing side. The kid and the position can dictate what kind of workout they can do. Some can lift 4 or 5 days a week during the season, some only a couple because their body needs more rest. Pitchers need to keep their legs and core strong. Some light shoulder and arms druing the season. LOTS of stretching everyday! Do her lifting on pitching off days or after she has thrown. Like everything else in pitching there is no one right way. But assuming she is already in good lifting shape. I would have her do a circuit of lifts 2-3 times a week. NO HEAVY PRESSING MOVEMENTS. Squats, stiff leg deadlifts, lunges, deadlifts, leg curls, leg extentions with a medium weight are all good exercise for legs, not all at once. Lots of band exercises are great for shoulders, Shoulder Exercises for Baseball and Softball | Kinetic Bands | - YouTube video with some good exercises. Light/medium arm exercises and medium weight back. Trainers are great for explaing and showing proper mechanics but not all understand how and what needs to be emphasized for specific sports. You may be more likely to find trainers that work with baseball players rather than softbal. But their workouts serve the same purpose. A couple of sessions with them could get her a great start and then she can go it alone unless you want to keep forking out the money. GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
These are pitchers, not linemen for a football team. Light weights and lots of reps. You bulk up the muscles and your ball speed will drop like a rock. You want long, strong slender muscles not slow bulky ones.

NO WEIGHT LIFTING UNDER 12 YEARS OLD.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
You bulk up the muscles and your ball speed will drop like a rock.

Hal, sometimes you need to read something about softball/baseball that was written after 1965.

Weight training is used by every collegiate softball program in the US. Why then don't the girls look muscle bound? Because it is almost impossible for *ANYONE* to develop huge muscles. (If it were so easy, there would be thousands of men who look like Schwarzenegger.)

Anyway...

Here is a *current* article about weight training: Eric Creasy on Strength Training.

Here is some research on strength training and throwing velocity:

Department of Kinesiology and Leisure Science, College of Education, University of Hawaii-Manoa, Honolulu 96822, USA.
Abstract

Throwing velocity is a necessary requirement for success in baseball. All position players, including pitchers, may increase their defensive performance if their throwing velocity is improved. A review of the literature suggests that throwing velocity can be increased by resistance training and/or biomechanical improvement of the throwing motion. This paper reviews the 3 broad categories of resistance-training methods by which throwing velocity is increased. The results of research using general, special, and specific throwing resistance-training exercises are presented. The role and applications of these different exercises for baseball players of different ages are discussed.

People do not understand weight training. They don't do it properly, and they don't get the results, and then rather than admit their own ignorance, they blame "weight lifting". Anyway...

To *really* weight train, as opposed to playing around with it, the person has to:

(1) Develop a workout routine that works several muscle groups at a time.
(2) Start with the correct weights for each lift in the routine.
(3) Workout the core and back.
(4) Understand when she needs to change the weights for a lift (Real simple: If you can do 15 reps, then the weight is too light. If you cannot do 8 reps, the weight is too much.)
(5) Track the weights and reps for each lif.
(6) Change the workout routine about every 3 to 4 weeks. (about 70% of the lifters do the same routine every day, and, surprise, their body never changes. )

Few people do this, and therefore they don't get the results they want. I

What would be an appropriate work out if any at all during the summer?

There are many places to get routines. Here is one site: Core, Strength And Fat Burn Workout | Muscle & Strength

The way to do it "for real" is to spend 90 minutes determining the weights for her to use. E.g., Suppose she wants to do shoulder shrugs. You pick up 20 lbs weight. If she can do 15 reps without a problem, then go to 25 lb weights. Keep doing this until you find a weight where she can do about 10 reps. Have her record it in her cell phone. Then, do it for each exercise she in her routine.

Have her workout twice a week. Each time, for each exercise, she starts with the weight from the prior week. When she can do 15 reps for any exercise, she increases the weight by 5 lbs. If she is doing something like planks, then she records the length of time she can hold the plank. Have her track everything and show you the results.

After 4 weeks, develop a new routine.

You will steady improvement in her overall strength and physical condition. Good luck!

Last edited:

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Sluggers, I was 9 years oild in 1965.

I am going by what Ortho doctors have said.

Why are YOU pointing out weight training for BASEBALL pitchers???

You add bulk to shoulder muscles in fastpitch pitchers, your muscles can fight agsinst each other, you can actually feel it when you pitch. This happened to me when I overdid my workouts fot awhile.

I have seen total doggone idiot college and high school head coaches do this to softball pitchers doing strength training, just like football players. I have seen a few of them injured so bad with torn muscles they could not continue pitching.

I will stand by my original post. This is especially true for tall slender pitchers.

Last edited:
May 10, 2010
I have a working knowledge of lifting for football training, but not for a SB pitcher. This info is great. Just need to figure how to work it in between tournaments,practice, and having time off from training. I am kind of leaning towards dd putting the weights down for a couple months. Any thoughts on that would be appreciated also.

Jul 26, 2010
Bulking is more if a factor of diet (not just what but when) and the timing of weight lifting (very slow movements for hypertrophy) then it is from actually working out. In fact, with the exception of the glutes, hamstrings, and quads, weight lifting to increase strength will also increase flexibility. Flexibility in the lower muscles mentioned can be maintained and increased with proper stretching after lifting.

It is VERY important for pitchers to lift weights as part of their workout routine, otherwise they end up with some sever muscle imbalances and can develop back/spine issues. They key here is to always work the weak side first and never do more weight/reps with the strong side. . . let the weak side catch up.

-W

Dec 20, 2012
And don't forget nutrition! More injuries occur from lack of nutrition than one would think. LOTS of protein, clean carbs(whole wheatbread, whole oats, brown rice,..), water, water, water. With all the extra stress her body is taking, with addition to pitching, she needs to make sure she is getting everything her body needs to repair itself. Doing nothing more than adding a good multivitamin, protein shake in the morning and at night, and maybe a flavored BCAA powder added to water to sip on during the day will make a world of difference. Stay away from preworkout potions, some have NCAA banned substances. On tournament weekends make your meals ahead of time. Turkey wraps are easy, protein bars, a scoop of protein powder mixed in a gatorade, fresh fruit, nuts,... Diet is just as important as any part of training.

Now Hal, tell us how we are not raising bikini models and that your Dr. said they should chow down on nachos and hotdogs all weekend. lol

And X can show us the proper grip to hold a chilidog while downing it.

Dec 20, 2012
I have seen total doggone idiot college and high school head coaches do this to softball pitchers doing strength training, just like football players. I have seen a few of them injured so bad with torn muscles they could not continue pitching.

Give me 2 names that were injured because they had too big of muscles from weight training and injured so bad they could never pitch again, just 2.

AND I love this article!

Why Softball Pitchers MUST Squat Part I

September 15th, 2011

In young, developing windmill pitchers, no drill, exercise, or implement will lead to greater overall gains more than improving leg strength. Balance and bodyweight exercises should progress to near maximal, compound lower body lifts as athletes mature. However, attracting high school and even college females to the squat rack or platform is not always easy. Want to get your softball athletes to ferociously attack legs in the weightroom? Use my analogy. I call it "Carcrashpitch".

In my masterpiece below, the car represents the body, while the driver represents the arm and ball. I apologize if the crash-analogy is offensive or violent, but it works. This event occurs much like the windmill delivery. If you're unfamiliar with the sequence, here is my review. Essentially, we're trying to maximize the resultant velocity of the driver (arm and ball) as she flies threw the windshield, while controlling her direction.

1.jpg2.jpg

To do so, we can adjust a few variables:

1) Speed up the car. This equates to improving the pitcher's explosive drive off of the rubber.

2) Reinforce the wall. The car must come to a halt QUICKLY in order for the driver (arm and ball) to continue at a high velocity. If the system (car and driver) takes time to slow down, the resultant velocity of the ball will be less. This equates to improving deceleration capacity of the lead leg and trunk.

3) Make sure the collision is head on. If the wall is angled, or the car turns at the last second, both the velocity and direction of the driver (arm and ball) will be negatively affected. This requires development of strength and body control that supports technical mastery.

4) Remove the windshield. This equates to releasing restrictions in the upper body that would interrupt the kinetic sequencing of the delivery.

5) Install an "eject button" to be triggered at impact. Contribution from the upper body and torso muscles gives the ball one last boost before it's released. This requires upper body strength (also beneficial for shoulder preservation) and elastic core development.

The car crash analogy can be applied to other movements including batting, overhand throwing, golf, and striking

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC