Why we need some kind of pitch/inning count in softball!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
Just got off the phone with the head coach of our 14U team. Girl throws about 200 pitches in an 8 inning ITB semifinal game with them and then turns around right after and throws 6 innings in the championship game. 95 degree heat. 14 innings.

May 13, 2021
Just got off the phone with the head coach of our 14U team. Girl throws about 200 pitches in an 8 inning ITB semifinal game with them and then turns around right after and throws 6 innings in the championship game. 95 degree heat. 14 innings.
Unfortunately this is not uncommon in softball.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Parenting is important.

May 17, 2012

And maybe she lost the championship game and then went home and threw 100 more pitchers to straighten out her curve (I have seen that plenty of times).

Perhaps she has pitching lessons today.

You have no idea what her typical pitching load looks like in a week.

Jun 8, 2016
And maybe she lost the championship game and then went home and threw 100 more pitchers to straighten out her curve (I have seen that plenty of times).

Perhaps she has pitching lessons today.

You have no idea what her typical pitching load looks like in a week.
and maybe she cannot pickup her arm when she is 18 and both her hips are shot..You do realize not all injuries are acute, right and if you do acknowledge this you should also acknowledge that there is no way of predicting whether a kid is Sandy Koufax or Nolan Ryan so why take the chance ? What's to gain for kid (not the team, not the coach, the kid)? Is throwing 500 pitches for the weekend that much more beneficial to her development than 250? (and yes I know I am talking to myself since you never answer any of my questions..)

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
and maybe she cannot pickup her arm when she is 18 and both her hips are shot..You do realize not all injuries are acute, right and if you do acknowledge this you should also acknowledge that there is no way of predicting whether a kid is Sandy Koufax or Nolan Ryan so why take the chance?
….and this right here should be emphasized. Most people don’t understand how overuse injuries occur and we never know when they might start to rear their ugly heads. Could be tomorrow, could be a year from now, could be in college or after.

I used to work in employee health for a company that had a large R&D group. I can’t begin to tell you how simple tasks such as repetitive pipetting into test tubes by lab workers caused overuse injuries. Now think about that - something done repetitively that required minimal force caused overuse injuries over time to healthy, young adults. This lead to the lab workers requiring frequent breaks, less volume of repetitive tasks, and ergonomic stretches throughout the day. Now think about how a forceful and violent repetitive action such as windmill pitching can affect a young and often times still-developing body. Is it still difficult to see how overuse injuries occur in SB pitchers? Is it that crazy to think pitch counts might have a positive outcome?