Why we need some kind of pitch/inning count in softball!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 14, 2022
and maybe she cannot pickup her arm when she is 18 and both her hips are shot..You do realize not all injuries are acute, right and if you do acknowledge this you should also acknowledge that there is no way of predicting whether a kid is Sandy Koufax or Nolan Ryan so why take the chance ? What's to gain for kid (not the team, not the coach, the kid)? Is throwing 500 pitches for the weekend that much more beneficial to her development than 250? (and yes I know I am talking to myself since you never answer any of my questions..)
Yes! The most important thing imo is pitchers do not gain development and are actually put at risk to developmental hiccups.

I am amazed by pitchers who can remain effective. Third time through a lineup in your second game of the day on pitch 175 (for the day) is not easy.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Our coach made a blunder on Saturday in Colorado. He warmed up my daughter four times before bringing her in for our toughest game. Her typical warm up routine is 50-60 pitches, so by the time she came in the game, she had already thrown 200-240 pitches. She had tendonitis of her pitching shoulder in May from overuse, so throwing that many pitches without throwing one in anger is concerning. And this was after having thrown at least 150-200 pitches each of the previous days.

May 13, 2023
Our coach made a blunder on Saturday in Colorado. He warmed up my daughter four times before bringing her in for our toughest game. Her typical warm up routine is 50-60 pitches, so by the time she came in the game, she had already thrown 200-240 pitches. She had tendonitis of her pitching shoulder in May from overuse, so throwing that many pitches without throwing one in anger is concerning. And this was after having thrown at least 150-200 pitches each of the previous days.
Whatcha gunna do dad?

Just commenting on the mixture of responses about this.
Comments about don't know pitchers routines on their own. How much they throw anyway!!
Whether or not they go home and throw directly after big tournaments. Other people saying holy mackerel 😵‍💫 don't do it too much... bad parenting.... bad coaching.....

Sooo watcha gunna do???

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
That seems to be the trend/ tendency of what people do Babble about it and point a finger elsewhere
I already addressed it with the coach. I'm at a point where she's in her recruiting push, so getting seen at the right time with a fresh arm is important. He said he'd be more diligent.

May 27, 2013
That seems to be the trend/ tendency of what people do Babble about it and point a finger elsewhere
Honestly I don’t think the majority of pitchers’ parents understand that overuse is a thing. They have been told that “Softball pitching uses a different motion, it’s more natural,” etc, etc. We, on here, are a small subset of parents, coaches, players compared to the greater number of people out there involved in youth SB. So hopefully by talking about it on here, the word spreads to those not involved on our SB discussion board. If babbling about it on here helps one kid not sustain an overuse injury, then I’m happy.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole