Why mess with the best players?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
This is one of those mysteries of fastpitch softball coaching that just stumps me. Every year when the HS softball season starts I hear tales of coaches trying to "rebuild" the swings of players in the two or so weeks they have before they start playing every day.

It's pretty unrealistic to think you can make significant improvements in a swing in such a short amount of time. What really gets me, though, is that these coaches rarely focus where it might do them some good, i.e. the kids who can't hit a lick, and for whom any instruction might yield some benefits.

No, instead they decide to focus on the team's top hitters. That's just wrong on so many levels. The most significant of which is there is a reason those players are your top hitters.

There's an old coaching saying that says if a player can hit .400 standing on her head, the coach's job is to get her a pillow. In other words, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Now, I'm not in 100% agreement with that way of thinking; truth is it's always broke to some extent. But if the player is a good hitter the odds are she's had some training and all she might need is a little tweaking here or there. Yet Mr. or Ms. "Helper Coach" ignores that fact and instead tries to completely change what these players are doing.

When you have limited time and a wide range of ability, it's not the top of your order you need to mess with. Let's face it. On most HS teams if you're lucky you have five good, solid, reliable hitters. That means nearly half your lineup still needs help. A smart coach will work with those hitters and try to get them up to the level of the top five to give them a better chance of avoiding the dreaded bottom of the lineup black hole -- that place where hopes of victory go to die.

Yes, it's tempting to want to put your own stamp on good players. Everyone wants to claim they helped those players get to where they are. But that's not where your efforts will pay off.

Instead, work with the players who really could use the help -- the ones without a clue -- and not only will you raise their games, you'll avoid screwing up the players who are your best hope of gaining more wins. Just sayin'.

What has your experience been? Do you know coaches who mess up their top players (and teams) by trying to change what's working? Or do you disagree and think the coaches should work with the top ones instead of the bottom-level players?

More...

Ital

Banned
Mar 21, 2012
I don't understand "rebuilding" a swing at all. It either cannot be done or it shouldn't be done. What I mean is, if "rebuilding" worked, every MLB player would have the same exact and technically perfect swing...and they do not.

I don't consider it rebuilding if you are talking about an eight year old. That's just teaching and her swing isn't "built" yet anyway.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD swing is a mess, BB TB coach was helping in practice.

He started to correct DD as soon as she took her stance and before she even saw a pitch but he backed off to watch a few swings. Then he just leaned against the fence and watched her. He was shaking his head trying to figure out how she was hitting the ball so hard.

After DD left he just said wow, he did not know it was my DD, and never said a word to her.

He gave great advice to the players to help them hit but more importunately he did not say things to hear himself talk. He is going to be back again this year, I am looking forward to working with him again.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
At 8, 9, 10 even the best should be taught a proper swing. Lots of kids at that age have huge flaws in their swing, (throw, fielding...) but because of natural ability. Strength, hand eye, speed... they can make a bad swing work. Eventually all of that evens out as the other kids mature, and the kid with the flawed techniques can no longer keep up with the rest of the kids. Teach them right when they are young.

Now by HS age, which lets face it is the pinnacle of most fastpitch player's careers. I think a HS coach has to accept what works regardless of how it looks, ad focus on whats not working.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
I mentioned this in another thread, but we had a California recruit from the Nor Cal Tremors come into the program as a freshman. She had a sweeping swing! For us it was ugly. She led the team in fall-ball in hitting and slugging percentage. We showed new and better technique but it didn't click. During the regular season she hit .260 and led the team in slugging percentage. She had a big number of doubles. We discussed what to do. We understood that her performance was very good, high, for a freshman. We elected not to touch her during the season. Could she have been even better? I think so. But we might have also busted her confidence and lowered her performance just to instill conformity. I think it was wise discretion.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
We have a house rule that DD is to never change batting or pitching unless we agree it is for the better. You put 10 coaches in a room, 10 of them will have their "own" advice as to what is right and what works, and about 1.5 of them know what they are talking about.

Had a TB girl ( not on my team ) 2 years ago. She was a very good pitcher because she had a weird delivery. ( good mechanics but her release........her body would look like it was having a seizure ) It was really hard to time her and she was well know in the surrounding states. She joined a 18 Gold team and the coach ( an ex college pitcher ) changed her delivery. She has not been the same, can't hardly finish a game because she is getting ripped. Rumor has it she is not even going to travel this summer, that's how bad she has gotten. She had something natural that made her successful, and some idiot changed it.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
We have a house rule that DD is to never change batting or pitching unless we agree it is for the better. You put 10 coaches in a room, 10 of them will have their "own" advice as to what is right and what works, and about 1.5 of them know what they are talking about.

Had a TB girl ( not on my team ) 2 years ago. She was a very good pitcher because she had a weird delivery. ( good mechanics but her release........her body would look like it was having a seizure ) It was really hard to time her and she was well know in the surrounding states. She joined a 18 Gold team and the coach ( an ex college pitcher ) changed her delivery. She has not been the same, can't hardly finish a game because she is getting ripped. Rumor has it she is not even going to travel this summer, that's how bad she has gotten. She had something natural that made her successful, and some idiot changed it.

That would be the famous "fixing the wheel that isn't broken theory?"

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
That would be the famous "fixing the wheel that isn't broken theory?"

And the "I was a successful college pitcher, so do what I do". Pitching is one of the few things in BB or FP that "sometimes" different from the norm is better. I can't stand to watch Abbotts wind up, hate it even more to see a young girl mimic it. But it worked for Abbott, doesn't mean it will for the other million pitchers.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
And the "I was a successful college pitcher, so do what I do". Pitching is one of the few things in BB or FP that "sometimes" different from the norm is better. I can't stand to watch Abbotts wind up, hate it even more to see a young girl mimic it. But it worked for Abbott, doesn't mean it will for the other million pitchers.

Glad to know that I'm not the only one that hated watching her wind up...

I've always been in the camp with not fixing it if they have something that works for them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877