Why I chose not to play college softball

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Here's a recent article in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution that was part of a larger package on the pursuit of scholarships in non-revenue sports.

I thought it was a good read and figured someone might like to see it:

Laura-Beall-Headshot.jpg

By Laura Beall

Laura Beall graduated 15th in her senior class at Pope High and was Georgia Dugout Club’s Class AAAAA fast-pitch player of the year in 2012. Beall, a freshman at Georgia Tech, recalls how tough it was to take the “athlete” out of “student-athlete.”

When I told people I was going to Georgia Tech, they thought I was playing softball. I said, “No, I’m just going to be a normal student and focus on my education.” I wanted to study industrial engineering at Tech and did not want softball to take away from my academics and the overall college experience. I also felt it would be difficult to participate in programs like study abroad, co-ops and internships. This summer I’m going to Europe for 11 weeks on the Oxford Study Abroad Program. I’ll travel to 10 countries and take classes on the road. It would be hard to play a sport and be off all summer.

I started playing softball when I was 5 and have played over a thousand games since then. I tore my ACL my junior year and have missed the 2012 travel season and the first part of my senior high school season. I had a successful senior year in softball and wanted to play travel ball one last time. My last travel team the East Cobb Bullets Gold. Playing for the Bullets allowed me to play at the highest level and compete against the best D-1 prospects in the country. Our team placed fifth in Premier Fast Pitch, which was a huge accomplishment. I also had the opportunity to catch the No.1 2015 pitcher in the country.

When Softball players are young, they start thinking about college. They’re making recruiting videos and emailing coaches. I had interest from colleges early, but realized my education was going to be my future, and softball would be over in four years, regardless. People never stopped trying to convince me to play college ball, all the way up to my last game. Girls on my team went on to play at D-1 schools all over the country, but I had proven to myself that I could play at this level, but chose not to.

If you love your sport and it’s your dream, then you should play in college. You should not play simply because you are good or to fulfill someone else’s dream. When I look back at my decision not to play at the collegiate level, I know I made the right choice. Although I miss softball and the competition, I am happy with my decision and have never regretted ending my career when I did.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Cannonball, She could have skipped the St. Louis Cardinal games.

I envy the girls that know what they want. Even my own DD, knew that she didn't want college. That wasn't our plan for her, but as she told me "I'm not you."

Jul 11, 2009
Recently read an article in the paper about a girl in southern Ohio. Best player to go through her school in a long long time. Set most of offensive records at her high school. Had some D1 offers and just flat out turned them all down. Said once she found out D1 practices are lifting every morning at 5 am to go along with 5 hr practices 6 days a week she simply had no interest in that. She said she was comfortable with her decision to walk away. Shame her last game was a loss in the state championship.

Oct 7, 2013
New Jersey
I think another point that needs to be known about such a huge decision is that there are other options...if a player wants to go to a D1 school for the school itself rather than to play on that level but they are afraid they will miss the sport, join the club softball team and also get a coed intramural team together! Yes, intramurals will have players of all levels from playing their whole lives to never swinging a bat, but that's what college is all about. Some club teams are still extremely competitive/talented and are able to travel all over the country, but is not as demanding as the varsity team

Aug 2, 2011
I think it was a great decision! I would discourage my daughter from playing college softball. Academics are increasingly taking a back seat to athletics at all levels. The job market is more competitive than ever and students should be focusing on their majors and career plans. Plus, they will soon be independent and they need to be out having fun and meeting people when they are not doing schoolwork. I had a star softball player in one of my classes at our D1 Pac 12 school and she sat in the front row/middle of the class and texted all class, right in front of the teacher. I'm pretty sure she didn't take advantage of her academic opportunity. There was another player on the team who was supposed to be the star player (she was the focus of the team's marketing) and by the end of her senior year she wasn't even starting. She was a double major-sports marketing and business-and was, it seems to me, taking her school more seriously than softball. Good for her!

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I find it sad that in the USA - the home of the best fast pitch in the world - that it is '4 years of college and then softball is over' - is a major part of the decision on play/not play for many girls.

The major lack of local adult leagues (not pro or semi pro - just the opportunity to continue to play - and no co-ed slowpitch doesn't count) is a sad thing especially when other countries mange to do this in a meaningful way even where softball would not be considered even a minor sport.

Not just softball either - but most sports for both men and women. Even as an adult, if you wanted to take up a new competitive sport in most countries there are opportunities to do so through the club systems - but it is so, so limited here in the USA it is really depressing.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I've heard just the opposite and that most employers look for people who have played collegiate sports. In fact, in our small town, the two largest businesses have employed at least half of their staffs with former collegiate athletes. One is a huge trucking company and I'd say almost all of their sales department is comprised of former collegiate athletes.

I work for a major tech company and over the years I have hired a large number of people and seen way, way too many resumes. Collegiate sports experience makes your resume stand out as opposed to someone with the same degree/experience you have and when you are looking at 100 similar resumes something that stands out is a big deal. It is a differentiator that can get you in the door (after that it is up to you).

Also the networking you can get from college sports can be hugely beneficial.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
There are a few adult leagues around - Most are co-ed fastpitch leagues. I applaud this young-lady's decision - and nothing is absolute. She can still play in some form if she wants to. The years of training as an athlete have taught her how to learn and perfect a sport. She can use that knowledge to conquer another sport when she feels ready. Tennis, anyone?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I work for a major tech company and over the years I have hired a large number of people and seen way, way too many resumes. Collegiate sports experience makes your resume stand out as opposed to someone with the same degree/experience you have and when you are looking at 100 similar resumes something that stands out is a big deal. It is a differentiator that can get you in the door (after that it is up to you).

Also the networking you can get from college sports can be hugely beneficial.

I agree with all of this.

Absolutely. If you are a collegiate athlete or former military I am all over your resume. Shows that you can both learn and apply it to the real world. Too many people graduate from college with a diploma, lots of theoretical knowledge, and no practical skills.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
...But it is reality today. When you start at 6 in competitive ball, you are bound to burn out by 18. I hear these same excuses why kids don't go get working internships!!! Can't work a job or my grades will fail. I go back to the military academies where your whole day is structured and they do more than all the kids at the easy Us.

But in the end, there are only only so many games your psyche can handle and if you used them up, well you used them up. The physical part is no problem it is all the rest...

Very few players are as weak minded and unmotivated as you suggest. Based on that twisted logic it is a wonder anyone plays college sports.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad