Why do softball pitchers have to grunt?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
Last night when my daughter was pitching to her dad, he noticed that when she grunted and used to breathing properly she threw harder. I don't think it is being taught to be a distraction...just to prove the point to her when she grunts...she threw between 5-7 miles faster!

Don't be discouraged by comments from people who haven't taken the time to learn if the "grunt" has substance. What your DD does is helping. It's a physical fact, not magic, not voodoo, not seeking attention, etc.

Some people are just satisfied to assume they know and will therefore remain ignorant. The sad part is someone may be influenced by their uninformed opinions.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Coach knew who we were and that we were not related to the grunting-girl and said "that is sooo annoying and I will never recruit a pitcher who does that...." (of course if she was hitting upper 60's I am sure she would tolerate it....:)

Yep, it would be overlooked in a second if the girl could help her team.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Go to baseball camps or attend a MLB game . You have to wonder why they don't! This use to be taught , but few pitching coaches teach it now. Had a interesting conversation on this subject with Bill Hillhouse and Doug Gillis years ago , they don't teach it for a reason.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2012
If anyone has a 2001 bday who is dominant, but they grunt so you don't want them please send her my way!!!
I am sure we could find some circle time!!!
:cool:

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
My DD absolutely has a grunt, when she is putting everything into her pitches. She was never taught it. It is by no means distracting to the batters. An umpire has never even mentioned it to her. Is there something I am missing on this one? There is a difference between a grunt and a squeal or scream. I am picturing women's tennis for some reason. Didn't Monica Seles let out some god awful squelch? I imagine that would be annoying after a few hours. Or maybe in the Olympics, when those huge shot put guys scream out after they throw the cannon ball. But these girls put so much work into their craft, I can't really see a little grunt due to the exertion of so much energy really being a problem. I would also think major league pitchers have a similar grunt. Probably can't be heard form the stands or on TV. I would have to go watch a bull pen session or practice to be certain. Heck, I am getting so old that I notice I am grunting just getting out of bed in the morning.

Jul 1, 2010
I'm not a fan of it, but I have heard DD grunt some in practice, but not loud enough for me to hear during a game. My concern is not that it is "stupid" or "unnecessary" or "unsportsmanlike" because I don't believe in one size fits all.

My concern is similar to that of the glove slap in that it could be used to help the batter with timing. They have enough help with $300 bats and moving coffee can sized strike zones.:cool: Oops, forgot DD owns one of those.

Dec 7, 2011
the glove slap in that it could be used to help the batter with timing.

Rats! - here was the other "don't care" item that should have been on the other topics list of "things folks like to over-focus on that just don't make any sizable difference".

Hogwash.....

May 10, 2010
Its funny to me that if a hitter grunts she is considered an agressive hitter. If a pitcher does it she is distracting. Whether its grunting or slapping the glove if it works for that young lady then more power to them. The hitter has the weapon and only has to beat the pitcher. The pitcher has to beat a whole team. I challenge the ones that are complaining to get out there and throw BP the next practice with just a glove and maybe a mask and see what its like looking down the barrel of a $300 bat. Oh yea when most adults get out there and throw BP they use a safety screen. The last practice my dd hit the safety screen several times at BP. I quess i will tell the coach it was unfair.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1