Why do softball pitchers have to grunt?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
There is no reason to grunt. Actually if you are grunting, you are diverting energy and your activity away from what you are doing and changing your natural breathing.

I find most of them do it for attention initially, such as to show they are working hard, then it's a habit that no one stops them from for all kinds of excuses. Noise during karate or other combat is also for intimidation and to get in the head of the other fighter, so not comparable. unless you think that about the pitcher (could be true).

If you are weightlifting, you can hurt your vocal cords grunting while you lift.

Wow, you really are out in left field. You don't understand the "grunt" at all.

Oct 25, 2009
What I like best about the kiai is when the player is taught to do it precisely at the point of contact. Not only does it give them more power, it makes them focus more on the point of contact.

Many times when lifting something heavy, or pushing something, a person will "grunt." Most who do it don't even think about the extra boost of energy it gives them. But it's there.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
My DD does it. It is not taught and she does it through release on most pitches... and sometimes not.

And since light moves faster than sound, unless the noise signifies a specific pitch, if the batter is looking at the release like they are meant to it is not going to help them time the pitch any more than watching the ball. Same with the glove slap.

I used to do it in certain situations when I played basketball. It wasn't taught there either - it just happened. Didn't help the defense there either.

Bucketmom

Psycho for softball!
Feb 13, 2013
At the fields
My DD has more of an "umph" than a grunt. Lets me know she's tryin. She is also taught to say "now" on release. PC wants her to say it as loud as she needs to in order to keep focused. No intention of distracting the batter.

May 10, 2010
Getting upset over grunting is funny to me. Even if it is a distraction what makes it unsportsman like. As a parent of a pitcher I think a 300 dollar bat is unsporting especially when the grunt ball leaves the yard.

Oct 25, 2009
Oh we can't disagree? Some ancient philosophy I am not allowed to go against?

Grunting is stupid, unnecessary and just like tennis if they keep doing it the org. will consider making a rule against it or put programs in place to stop it.

Stop it when it starts so there is no excuse later not to correct it. I know coaches who won't take grunters because it is so annoying to hear it everyday.

Just like tennis, many players hit harder and do not grunt. It is a worthless accessory to grunt, meant for show. It is psychological and does not add any energy.

The only problem I have with your "disagreeing" is that you seem to be ignorant of what the "grunt" actually does. It can be a very effective tool. Don't blow it off unless you at least learn more about it.

Last night when my daughter was pitching to her dad, he noticed that when she grunted and used to breathing properly she threw harder. I don't think it is being taught to be a distraction...just to prove the point to her when she grunts...she threw between 5-7 miles faster!

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Grunting (tennis) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Louise Deeley, a sports psychologist at Roehampton University, believes that grunting is part of the rhythm for tennis players: "The timing of when they actually grunt helps them with the rhythm of how they're hitting and how they're pacing things". She also believes that banning grunting isn't the solution: "They may feel, on the surface, that this is going to be a distraction to their game, that it is part and parcel of what they do."[19] Bruce Lynne, a physiologist at University College London, believes that reflexes might have an effect, "If you're looking at reflexes in the legs and you ask someone to clench their jaw, then believe it or not, the reflexes in their legs get brisker, that's a well-known problem called re-enforcement."[19]

Dec 7, 2011
Take this for what it's worth :

D1 camp we were at last year there was a loud noise maker in the row of pitchers. The head coach was walking by and taking "looks" at the pitchers. She noticed us "evil" dad's mildly reacting to the "grunts". Coach knew who we were and that we were not related to the grunting-girl and said "that is sooo annoying and I will never recruit a pitcher who does that...." (of course if she was hitting upper 60's I am sure she would tolerate it....:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan