Why Do I Feel Like Calling It Quits After the First 5 Minutes??

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
I have to ask. What does the pitcher do to stop the steal in this situation?
I just mean being aware of the runner. In 10u it's not a thing, she just likes the cat and mouse, from watching her sister play 12u baseball where they can lead off. Quick pitcher can pick them off. She likes that.
IMO, catchers should be doing as much at-home work as pitchers. For our team, our catchers are on the field longer than anyone, including the pitchers. They get an extra 30 minutes of catcher-specific work either before or after everyone else, including pitchers. After witnessing the catchers going through their strength and fitness circuit at Tuesday night's practice, one of the pitchers said, "Wow! I'm glad I'm not a catcher. That looks hard!"

That said, I'm not sure what we do is typical. ;)
Makes sense to me. I imagine I'll see this more as they get older. On our team the pitchers practice way more than anyone else though. I wish the catchers would catch up!

Feb 4, 2016
My daughter is 10 and we go through the same thing. I found out if I explain what each drill helps her do better she is more willing to do them. Keep in mind they are still very young and emotions are all over the place at that age.

Jul 20, 2013
Similar situation right now...DD used to pitch, moved to a travel team where she was snuffed so we both gave up, moved down teams and now restarted pitching for about 3 weeks. Most of the IR stuff we worked about 2 years ago was somewhat still in her mind and I went all-in this time since coach says she'll probably be one in top 2 out of 4-5 pitchers we have. DD throws hard but she's all over the place right now but coach says it's good enough for games in a couple weeks :eek: To me, it's horrible.

Anyway, every practice with her and I has pretty much ended in flames. It's odd, everything seems alright including getting into the car to go to the field (which is less than 3 mins away). For a magical reason as I walk over and glance at her face through the window I see a completely different person. Sullen, pouty, miserable...you name it she's morphed drastically. I mean, SNAP! I was planning to visit a nearby vet to see if I can buy some animal tranquilizer to take a dose before pitching practice. Perhaps I get through a couple hours without losing my temper while watching DD melt before my very eyes.

Sometimes it's hard to give the decision to practice or not back to the girl to see how they handle it especially when you may have a morphing DD like mine that goes from "The World Is Good" to "Burn it down, burn it all down to the ground!" within the blink of an eye.

For us Mom&Dad Catchers who have had to invest hours into the crash course self-education of pitching, it's hard when you want to see that "result xyz" to make it all worth it. Instead, you see nothing that resembles progress but more like regression and depression. I hope we can all make it!

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I may be out of the running for father-of-the-year every year by January 2nd, but I made my DD practice even when she did not want to. We took "baby steps" progressing up the TB food chain and I always used the fact that her teammates were counting on her as the #1 pitcher to motivate her to work hard. Below is a typical exchange that has been happening for the last 7 years....

Me: We need to practice this evening.
DD: I don't want to....I have a lot to do.
Me: OK, but you are going to tell your teammates the reason you sucked (this word has morphed through the years) this weekend is because you were too busy Snapchatting to practice.
DD: Will you take me to Racetrack to get a Slurpee when we are done?
Me: Only if you give me 110% during practice.
DD: Deal

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I may be out of the running for father-of-the-year every year by January 2nd, but I made my DD practice even when she did not want to. We took "baby steps" progressing up the TB food chain and I always used the fact that her teammates were counting on her as the #1 pitcher to motivate her to work hard. Below is a typical exchange that has been happening for the last 7 years....

Me: We need to practice this evening.
DD: I don't want to....I have a lot to do.
Me: OK, but you are going to tell your teammates the reason you sucked (this word has morphed through the years) this weekend is because you were too busy Snapchatting to practice.
DD: Will you take me to Racetrack to get a Slurpee when we are done?
Me: Only if you give me 110% during practice.
DD: Deal

I will admit to using bribery on more than one occasion.

Jan 22, 2014
Limit the amount of time you work with her.
My 10u DD warms up and runs through 3 drills. We follow up with 10 throws with each pitch and end with long toss and walk troughs.
30 minutes tops !

No anger, bite your tongue ! I have good and bad days - she does too. Don't push what doesn't work today, it will probably work the next.
Pay very close attention to her coach during lessons and ask lots of questions. If you, the parent, are the coach, I'm sorry...... find a coach.

At that age no girl should focus on daily pitching.
At that age no team should rely on ONE pitcher. If your team does, find a different team.

Finally, as mentioned on this site before - DQ afterwards !

Seriously, your daughter is too young to stress out over this sport. Don't push what doesn't work - Ask any number of HS SB players, a lot of them started off as LL pitchers.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Lately I like to have DD practice alone from time to time. Its her thing, she needs to be self motivated. Also my work hours are sometimes long and I cant be there as often as she needs to practice. I ordered Hillhouse's video, she views that and gets a good idea of what to do and heads out back to practice. After she works on mechanics she gets her brother to video her pitching, then she watches herself pitch and gets to trouble shoot mechanics. When I get home we'll view the vid together and talk about what she see's. She is 14 but I think this is a good for both of us. Im not micro managing every pitch saying ' posture' 'release before hip close' and she takes an active role In getting things right. I think this would be good for players of all ages. 9 and 10 yearolds might not pick it up right away but they will get it.

ian

Jun 11, 2015
Did you specify that it's THIS year?

It went like this:

"Dad will you buy me a puppy?"

"Sure..... If you finish the year with straight As."

She quickly nailed down the terms of agreement and made me feel like I got hustled. Nothing in writing so I might have an out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06