Why do girls stand at the front of the box?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 16, 2010
I've been watching quite a bit of girls high school ball this year, and I noticed that very few hitters stand at the back of the box, and many are at the very front. They set up like this even when a hard thrower is pitching.

Do softball coaches teach this, and if so, WHY?

Do the math. If a pitcher is throwing 60 mph and you setup in the front of the box instead of the back, you just added 5 mph to her pitch. From the front, you now have the same amount of time to get to the ball as if she was throwing 65 instead of 60.

Is there some other factor that I don't know about, that makes it better to move up?

To ME, moving to the front is the same as allowing the pitcher to move the rubber 3 feet closer to the plate to pitch.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
jbooth,

I see it too. It makes no sense to me. Here is Ohio when pitching moved for 40' to 43' it went from a pitchers game to a hitters game because of just 3 feet. I have no idea why someone would give those 3 feet back voluntarily by moving up. The pitcher pitches to the catcher so throwing another 18" - 30" depending how deep batter sets up is a big deal. That same 18" - 30" makes a big difference on the catchers throw to second. pushing that catcher back can definately be the difference between out and safe at 2. I noticed my dd setting up slightly towards from and had her move back to split her body at the point where the plate angles back.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
The first question that a hitter needs to ask themselves when hitting is can the pitcher beat them with a fastball. If not, then they can adjust accordingly in the box. By moving up, they take away the pitcher's breaking pitches. They also take away, at least in part, the effects of the changeup.

Feb 9, 2012
Dearborn, Mi.
No expert but front of the box hitting does not allow the ball to break as much/as far as giving the pitcher that extra 5 feet of break. In other words, the ball might be fast but it is straight and fast. Most HS girls can hit a fast ball.

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
This is one of my pet peeves, the standard reply is that you get up in the box to hit the curveball (screwball, drop) before it breaks. The idea that you hit the pitch before it breaks (and I doubt if that's really possible) can work against the hitter also. For instance, pitcher throws a curveball, it's headed inside out of the strike zone, hitter has a choice, hit it out of the zone or take it and let break in for a strike. Same thing with a drop, pitcher throws it high, out of the zone, hitter has to hit it out of the zone or take it and let it break in for a called strike. So the logic of hitting it before it breaks can be used against the hitter. The logic just doesn't hold up. Pitch recognition is important, that's why you see MLB players in the back of the box. At the college level you will see more girls in the middle or even back of the box. I brought this up once before and got blasted for it. As far as I'm concerned the only reason to be up in the box is if the ump is calling a lot of low strikes or you can't hit the low pitch.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
we were told

This is one of my pet peeves, the standard reply is that you get up in the box to hit the curveball (screwball, drop) before it breaks. Pitch recognition is important, that's why you see MLB players in the back of the box. At the college level you will see more girls in the middle or even back of the box. I brought this up once before and got blasted for it. As far as I'm concerned the only reason to be up in the box is if the ump is calling a lot of low strikes or you can't hit the low pitch.

Our coaches teach middle of the box and to adjust the timing of the swing. If you are in the back of the box, a good pitcher can hit the outside corner and it's harder to reach...right? My DD used to move to the front of the box for slower pitchers, and the back for faster...but not anymore.

May 16, 2010
This is one of my pet peeves, the standard reply is that you get up in the box to hit the curveball (screwball, drop) before it breaks. The idea that you hit the pitch before it breaks (and I doubt if that's really possible) can work against the hitter also. For instance, pitcher throws a curveball, it's headed inside out of the strike zone, hitter has a choice, hit it out of the zone or take it and let break in for a strike. Same thing with a drop, pitcher throws it high, out of the zone, hitter has to hit it out of the zone or take it and let it break in for a called strike. So the logic of hitting it before it breaks can be used against the hitter. The logic just doesn't hold up. Pitch recognition is important, that's why you see MLB players in the back of the box. At the college level you will see more girls in the middle or even back of the box. I brought this up once before and got blasted for it. As far as I'm concerned the only reason to be up in the box is if the ump is calling a lot of low strikes or you can't hit the low pitch.

I absolutely agree with you. If I'm the pitcher's coach and I see a hitter at the front, I'm throwing curveballs right at the batter that break over the plate, and fastballs and drops inside. Add the fact that they have to get out in front of fast pitches, with the fact that they are already closer, and they're going to have a tough time.

On a related subject; I don't think defenses adjust to the batter. If they move up to take away a pitch, then throw them something else that is tough from their box position.

May 16, 2010
The first question that a hitter needs to ask themselves when hitting is can the pitcher beat them with a fastball. If not, then they can adjust accordingly in the box. By moving up, they take away the pitcher's breaking pitches. They also take away, at least in part, the effects of the changeup.

I don't see how moving up takes away breaking pitches. Maybe the down and away curve, but I believe you can still hit everything else from the back of the box.

I watched the AZ State championships last night, and all of the Xavier hitters were up in the box and crowding the plate. The Horizon pitcher killed them with fastballs down and in, and curveballs that started off the plate inside and broke in. The break was late, so they couldn't get on it. If they had been back and off the plate, they could hit that pitch and still get to it if she threw it to break over the outside corner.

I once asked a friend who played MLB about it, and he said he didn't care how fast or slow the pitcher was, he wanted as long as possible to see any pitch. I have never seen a MLB hitter move up in the box. Heck they try to erase the back line, and get farther back than the back line and they still hit curves.

Jan 25, 2011
My,dd lines up the front foot with the corner of the plate that starts the apex and never moves from there no matter what the pitcher throws.Fast,slow,what ever,thats what she finds the same,no matter where she is playing,thats her routine.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I teach standing back at the rear corner of the plate. I have them lay the bat across it, to make certain. I do not teach batters to move up, back, etc. MLB does not do it. I also don't teach them to "take a lighter bat up there," for quicker pitchers. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck