Why do coaches tinker?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

gvm

Sep 3, 2010
I had a coach tell my DD this year during a tryout that she needed to change her stance, load and swing. He also mentioned that if she were to hit against his team, he would have his pitchers hit the outside corner for a couple strikes, then come inside for the K. Well I looked at the books against his team and his pitchers. My DD was 7 for 9 with 4 BB's and one K.:rolleyes:
it's ego !!!
dd went 9-11 with 12 rbi's which got us to the championship game. when she got up to bat the coach says"that bat is to big for you" and takes her bat away and gives her a smaller one??? she goes 0-2 in that game... against the same pitcher she hit 2 doubles against the day before for 5 rbi's?(don't get me wrong it was a true daddyball coach of the worst kind) but your dd can hit 3 homeruns? and they just have to fix somethin'???? i don't get it?

Dec 28, 2008
Problem is that they think they have to do someone in order to be the coach. They don't realize that the games isn't about them, its about the players.

Google Maps can't get you to your destination if you don't identify where you are first. So even when players do come to me for lessons I see what they can do first and ask questions to see where they are mentally first. I try to find out what they really believe verse what they can implement and start from there.

Jan 27, 2010
Eastern Iowa
Our philosophy has always been if you pay to go to a hitting/pitching coach, we don't 'tinker', unless you start to struggle. HOwever, this year all of our girls go to the SAME hitting coach and pitching coach, which makes my job alot easier.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I have mentioned this before but our League has a winter program that we pay for. I will go to it to help out but DD has never stepped foot into and never will, for the exact reasons stated in this thread.

Lot of smart people but they do not communicate with each other and they all feel like they have to change something. Cannot just work with a kid and at the end say good job.

Oct 25, 2009
I suspect that there are more that need tinkering than not. I have seen those kids that can't be helped because they already know it all. What I usually say when I run across a kid like that? "Next!"

I tell the kids I work with why we do what we do. I tell them not to be afraid to try different things. I tell every kid to listen to their coaches. "When in Rome ... " If a kid can be messed up so quickly they should be able to reform just as quickly.

Never stop learning! The Great Wall of China has no place in softball.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
I overheard a dad this AM saying that his DD had filled in and played up a division. He was saying "I told the coach that he isn't her coach and blah, blah, blah." I didn't agree with that attitude.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC