Who covers 3rd?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Is this a trick question? I will show my ignorance.

3rd covers unless it is a bunt then SS?

A lot of moving parts when the SS needs to swing over to cover 3rd.

May 4, 2014
So Cal
Im with Quincy on this one... 3rd cover less its a bunt with SS and Left moving to cover as soon as catcher gets ball
Only way SS can make it to 3rd to take throw is to break for 3rd before catcher has ball.. if the batter makes contact SS will have left a huge hole

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
If there is a runner on 2B and the defense is expecting a bunt, the 3rd baseman is usually playing 10' inside the bag, and most teams would have the SS cover 3B.

If there is not a runner on 2B, but a runner on 1B and the batter bunts, 3B crashes and the pitcher or catcher needs to hustle over to cover 3B to prevent the base runner from taking an extra base. SS covers 2B in case you can get the lead runner on the bunt. Some teams use LF to cover 3B, but that does not leave anyone to backup an overthrow. If the catcher covers third, the 3B needs to cover home until the play is complete.

Jun 1, 2013
Im with Quincy on this one... 3rd cover less its a bunt with SS and Left moving to cover as soon as catcher gets ball
Only way SS can make it to 3rd to take throw is to break for 3rd before catcher has ball.. if the batter makes contact SS will have left a huge hole

Then a take pitch (showing bunt) will advance runner every time.
Short cheats a little to 3rd so she can more easily cover third on a steal. Runner on second, less than 2 outs, my third is playing well in front of 3rd base. If not, they will bunt for a base hit AND advance their runner.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
It's a variable. Coaches decision. You must be flexible and willing to make adjustments as often as needed. Have a play call for each variable and call it based on what your seeing.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

If 3B is playing 10' inside the bag expecting a bunt she cannot see the base runner on 2B in her peripheral vision, so she has no idea if the runner is going. Your 3B could become less aggressive charging bunts if she is worried about getting back to the bag, and if she does go back to the bag, she has to take a throw from the catcher while she is backpeddling blindly to the bag.

If the defense plays 3B behind or even with the bag, the batter will lay down a bunt and if the batter has better than average speed the 3B will have no play.

Oct 22, 2009
PA

If your 3B is back to cover a steal with a runner on 2nd, I will bunt all day long.

May 4, 2014
So Cal
If your 3B is back to cover a steal with a runner on 2nd, I will bunt all day long.

Sorry I think I was misunderstood... by "3rd cover less its a bunt" I meant to imply an EXPECTED bunt as well.... you are right that if I expect a bunt I will have SS cover 3rd as the 3rd baseman is going to be well inside the baseline (harder to backpedal to 3rd then for SS to cross over) - fully agree with you guys sorry if I implied otherwise

If I see that batter way up on the box you know that 3rd base is coming in... if I see Coach Greedy telling their #4 to sit back in the box and wail away my 3rd base isnt going to crash - I think Coach James summarized it well.. be ready to do both depending on situation... I was thinking the "expected swing away" situation not the "expected bunt"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1