Who calls the pitch ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
Rob-The simple fact is that it does not take a genius to call pitches for a softball game....IF you have a pitcher that can hit spots and a catcher who is willing to do it.
Move the ball around. Mix speeds. Don't be predictable.
The majority of these girls are not going to go on and make millions in the sport.
At the very least they should be given the respect that they deserve by allowing/teaching them this aspect of their game.
Will there be mistakes? YES. Just like any other learning part of the sport.

Once last year, as freshman, our catcher got a #4 hitter out on 3 change-ups in a row and she turned to the parents and the stands, with a big smile on her face and said, "Did you see that? We got her with 3 change ups!
The pride that she took in making that decision and having it work out was priceless.

Jan 7, 2009
Left Coast
Somewhere up above in this thread, someone distinguished between "a player who catches" and "a catcher." I think that's where it's at. If you have a "catcher" on your team, you owe it to her to teach her how to call her own game, then give her the opportunity to do it, whether or not her future coaches will let her do it. She's sacrificing a lot to be back there, and part of the reason is likely that she wants to be part of the axis of the game. Calling pitches puts some of that power in her hands. No matter what, if she develops the skill, she will be a more effective catcher because her level of involvement in the game will be that much deeper. "Players who catch" don't need to call games. They need to focus on keeping the ball in front of them.

Simo

Former High School Coach
May 26, 2008
Dunkerton Iowa
Somewhere up above in this thread, someone distinguished between "a player who catches" and "a catcher." I think that's where it's at. If you have a "catcher" on your team, you owe it to her to teach her how to call her own game, then give her the opportunity to do it, whether or not her future coaches will let her do it. She's sacrificing a lot to be back there, and part of the reason is likely that she wants to be part of the axis of the game. Calling pitches puts some of that power in her hands. No matter what, if she develops the skill, she will be a more effective catcher because her level of involvement in the game will be that much deeper. "Players who catch" don't need to call games. They need to focus on keeping the ball in front of them.

Dave, you hit the nail on the head. This forum is for every level of play and not just for TB gold or D1 college players. There are rec parents and coaches, HS players and coaches, College players and coaches of all levels, etc. What works for a D1 coach may not at some other level. No poster should be criticized for advocating a style that works for them at the level that they coach and with the talent they have to work with. I coached in Iowa, where we play summer ball. There is no TB and that handicaps the players who truly have talent. HS players come in all shapes and sizes and the level of commitment ranges from something to do in the summer to a religion. The level of play can change drastically and teams that excell generally have a great feeder program or are fotunate enough to get pitchers who work year round to improve their games. If you have a catcher who is dedicated and works hard in tandem with their pitcher, it is the exception. In most schools, kids participate in multiple sports and the state rules all but negate any possiblity of working the year round to improve your team. Catchers are a rare breed in any case and often having someone who wants to play the position and can keep the ball in front of them is a bonus. If you have one who can execute your plays, think on their feet and call a game, you probably have an all state player.

Jan 13, 2010
and why this is a beautiful post...the real issue is evaluating the batter relative to that chart, and then factoring in your pitchers strengths/weaknesses and then hoping they hit the spot with the pitch 'you' called. LOL!!

I am speaking travel ball, and higher level, I work with the battery to strategize on how we want to approach the at bats, and I'll give my catcher-who's a stud at 13- some freedom, but I call the majority of pitches and we have signals to override, and if I give nothing, it's hers..etc... if I see something I think will work as the coach you have to call it...and then explain to them after why..so the next time the situation presents itself, they see what your thinking...that's how you teach them the nuances of the game...

Mar 13, 2010
rantmonsters, I agree with you 100%. I have to wonder at coaches who have girls catching in TB (which from what I can tell is the equivilant of rep softball here) who can't call games at Under 14s level. That is exactly when they should be learning it.

I'm aghast at the idea that college players supposdly the best America has have their coaches on the sidelines calling pitches. That just sounds so wrong to me! Do the Team USA coaches sit on the sidelines and call the pitches too?

Apr 6, 2010
Oklahoma
Since the pitcher and catcher are still in Middle school, they both still have time to develop thier confidence in calling together. The best senario in my experience to develop this, is a mixture of previous posts rolled into one. We did it on my 14U travel team when I moved to a new team with a new catcher I didn't know.

If neither pitcher or catcher feels comfortable calling on their own at first, let the coach call for the first few innings. If the pticher at any time doesn't feel comfortable with a pitch she can shake it off, then that leaves the pitcher/catcher combo to decide. After the alotted innings called by coach they should be able to figure out a stradegy for the last few innings. Then as time goes on reduce the number of coach called innings.

Also Don't forget the scorekeeper, they can tell where the batter hit last, and the pitcher or catcher will most likely remember what pitch so and so hit that BOMB to the left field fence.. You don't wanna pitch that one again lol

In college (NCAA D2) I had confidence in calling games, but between the two coaches I had I never got to, which was a big suprise. But for the mental aspect it was a big help.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd