Which catchers gear to buy?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 28, 2014
Hey Eric

What size is your daughter wearing? My daughter is 5'2 and is also 11. I'm looking at the set up your daughter is wearing in this picture or going with a full All Star set up.

Thanks,
K

Normally a fly on the wall...

May 24, 2013
So Cal
SDFP - She's wearing 14.5" legs and 13" chest. Recently, she moved to a Wilson ProMotion 14.5" chest. She tried the All-Star 14.5" chest, but it was way too large for her. She also preferred the flexibility and comfort of the Wilson.

The All-Star legs are going to be too small for her pretty soon, so we're going to have to find another option. 14.5" is the largest size All-Star makes in the Vela series (which I find a little odd, since my mid-size 11yo has almost out-grown them). At the moment, it looks like our options will be Wilson or All-Star System 7 (baseball).

Nov 28, 2014
Thanks Eric... couple more questions... how tall is your daughter and what size helmet does she wear?

Thanks K

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Eric, as you know my DD tried both and went with the system 7. DD felt they were more comfortable, had a little more padding and stayed in place better without twisting on the lateral D&Bs. Of course, that's her...LOL. Yours could be entirely different.

Sep 9, 2015
Do you think the ProMotion 14.5" intermediate chest and 14" intermediate leg protectors would fit on a 14yr old, 5'0", 90lb girl?

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Do you think the ProMotion 14.5" intermediate chest and 14" intermediate leg protectors would fit on a 14yr old, 5'0", 90lb girl?

To get the correct measurements...measure from the bottom of your DD's collar bone to her belly button for the chest protector and from the middle of her knee to the top of the foot or middle of her ankle for the leg guards. These will be the sizes you need to order.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
To get the correct measurements...measure from the bottom of your DD's collar bone to her belly button for the chest protector and from the middle of her knee to the top of the foot or middle of her ankle for the leg guards. These will be the sizes you need to order.

This is a good place to start. However, there is some variation in size between manufacturers.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Just to update everyone. I was at a large showcase this past weekend and they had a Schutt booth set up. The S3.5 series, which is coming out in October or so is awesome! This new series will be hard to ignore for DD's next set of gear. Going with a different helmet though only because the helmet narrows too quickly to the chin for DD's big head and face.

Mar 19, 2021
Fresno
Looking for pros and cons on Easton mako gear or Boombah Defcon series for 11year old daughter. Thanks

For an 11-year-old, there are a lot of options that are inexpensive. Fit is critical to comfort, efficiency, and - most importantly - safety. Anything that fits pretty well at that age will do. The little I've heard about Boombah gear has all been positive but I have no first-hand knowledge about it.

There are pros and cons on Easton mako gear or Boombah Defcon series for 11year old daughter:

Pros:

• It is certified from NOCSAE
  • It is light in weight
  • Adjustment option is available
  • Designers up to the mark
  • The inexpensive choice to have

Cons :

• For shoulders, no protection is there
I hope this will helpful for you!!

Thanks & Regards
Luna
catchersports.com