Catchers Gear for 10u

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 17, 2023
10u player, starting first season of travel ball and has taken to catching. We have borrowed gear up to this point, most of it I'll fitted and budget store stuff. Looking to start assembling a complete setup for Christmas but looking for recommendations. Can be whole sets, leg guards, chest protectors, or helmet recommendations. What are your favorites in the youth space to start looking at?

Jul 11, 2023
Easton - Jen Schro Fundamentals served us well. The biggest challenge I believe is being limited to the box set sizes. We quickly outgrew the leg guards.

Very common set, can be had at the big box stores, and pretty easy to resell. I personally wouldn't ever recommend a used helmet, but most people don't care it seems.

Hopefully you have a local specialty store that carries a variety of things. But if not, and you chase pieces individually, order multiple sizes if you think you're in between and return what you don't use. Most places will allow exchanges, but that process can be really slow.

May 28, 2019
10u player, starting first season of travel ball and has taken to catching. We have borrowed gear up to this point, most of it I'll fitted and budget store stuff. Looking to start assembling a complete setup for Christmas but looking for recommendations. Can be whole sets, leg guards, chest protectors, or helmet recommendations. What are your favorites in the youth space to start looking at?
Easton or Mizuno

Oct 17, 2023
Are there any particular series from either of these brands that are better or a better value at this age than others? Like Jen Schro, Series 7, or Samurai (just naming some that come to mind) or are some of them overkill for this age? I want to get her the most comfortable/utilitarian set that I can.
Easton, Mizuno, and All-Star all make good youth sets. If you want a good deal, contact me.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Are there any particular series from either of these brands that are better or a better value at this age than others? Like Jen Schro, Series 7, or Samurai (just naming some that come to mind) or are some of them overkill for this age? I want to get her the most comfortable/utilitarian set that I can.
At that age and size, Mizuno and Rawlings are the better value. The problem is she'll outgrow the set in about 3.5 days. Yes, I'm exaggerating, but it seems like my girls grew so fast at that age that I could watch their feet grow in front of me.

The moral of the story is to not go crazy at that age.

May 28, 2019
LE, don't want to make a new thread.

Looking at the Jen Schro the very best set. Daughter is 5'7" to 5'8". 14 yrs old. Debating between the medium and large sets. I know girls don't like catcher sets very big on them so that's why i'm leaning to medium. Any thoughts on sizing of this set?

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY

Looking at the Jen Schro the very best set. Daughter is 5'7" to 5'8". 14 yrs old. Debating between the medium and large sets. I know girls don't like catcher sets very big on them so that's why i'm leaning to medium. Any thoughts on sizing of this set?
Chad,

At that height, I would go with a large. The helmets are the same size in the medium and large sets, so if it is too large, I recommend the Easton pad kit they sell to tighten the helmet for a smaller head. I think at her height, the medium is too small.

May 18, 2022

Your daughter is about the same height as my 14yo, she has really long legs so we ended up having to buy seperate pieces to get a good fit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles