Which catchers gear to buy?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
For an 11-year-old, there are a lot of options that are inexpensive. Fit is critical to comfort, efficiency, and - most importantly - safety. Anything that fits pretty well at that age will do. The little I've heard about Boombah gear has all been positive but I have no first-hand knowledge about it.

There are pros and cons on Easton mako gear or Boombah Defcon series for 11year old daughter:

Pros:

• It is certified from NOCSAE
  • It is light in weight
  • Adjustment option is available
  • Designers up to the mark
  • The inexpensive choice to have

Cons :

• For shoulders, no protection is there
I hope this will helpful for you!!

Thanks & Regards
Luna
catchersports.com

It’s been almost 5 years since the OP asked the question. I hope they figured it out by now.

Mar 8, 2021
This is a question worth raising as we are looking around currently. My kid swears by her boombah, she is on her third full set now. She plays on 12u and 14u within her organization, but will age out after this current season to 14u. The bookbah gear has never worn out, but we have replaced it as it becomes smelly and dirty looking. We opted to get a new set this time because of the nocsae approved chest protector. I'm looking at what Evo-shield offers now, but the price and color options are a real turn off to be honest.
My kid has a big head and many of the options out there have only offered a one size fits all helmet. She has been using the large helmet from boombah since her first set. I'm not really a fan of mixing equipment and boombah has always fit perfectly if we measure and follow their chart.
I'll say too, Under Armour helmets made her deaf to the coaches and team, it was a real curve ball for us to figure out. I had to drill some 3/4 inch holes in the helmet ear areas so she could hear.
I'm really apprehensive to switch things up from boombah, but I see a good portion of college catchers using the Evo-Shield stuff and it makes me wonder if we need to try their products out.

Jun 24, 2016
I ordered the Evoshield chest protector and sent it back. For the price I thought it was going to be really nice. I was not impressed. We went with the All Star AFX chest protector instead and really like it.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Dummy said:
I'm really apprehensive to switch things up from boombah, but I see a good portion of college catchers using the Evo-Shield stuff and it makes me wonder if we need to try their products out.

if she/you like Boombah, and it works well for her, I see no reason to make a change.

Most of the college teams you see on TV are using the gear provided by their equipment sponsor. EvoShield is a Wilson company, so you will see the Evo catchers gear used by teams that are also using Wilson gloves and Demarini/LS bats.

Last edited:
May 6, 2015
DD loved her boombah CP, did not wear out, but had a growth spurt, currently breaking in a Schro (sic) CP, but seems to like it, just a little stiff.

DD uses Schutt Airmaxx helmet, has protected her well several times, including once on a foul tip that came directly back, hit face mask, and dropped dead in front of her (no deflection, so cage took full force).

DD likes the Rawlings legs she uses, I am meh, we had to replace them after the fall as one of the straps came unstiched from the hard plastic. they did do a warranty replacement fast though, based solely on photos, no shipping bag of the legs (so now she has one spare :))

my other $0.02, go with lighter colors, CAtching is hard enough work on sweltering days as it is , why make it hotter. PErsonally think black helmets should be outlawed in youth sports.

Nov 18, 2015
It’s been almost 5 years since the OP asked the question. I hope they figured it out by now.
If you really want a good laugh - read the website that she(?) posted as a reference. May be authored by the same Nigerian prince that's been flooding my spam folder...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NightOwl