where to be in box against drop curve and rise ball???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
If someone else watched the interview please correct me. If you are in the front of the box the ball is on a downward flight with more spin and you cannot hit it except into the ground for a ground out. If you are in the neutral part of the box the ball spin and downward flight ( not sure if this was the correct word ) flattens out. This allows you to hit a line drive of a fly ball. Both stated the same thing. I can't recall the pitcher that threw mainly drop balls . I regret I watched way too many games and they all blend together. How to attack different pitching I thought was very interesting. Florida did the best job I thought of this approach.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
The trajectory of a perfectly spun riseball (true backwards rotation) will have the pitch flattening out as it approaches the plate. In a sense the movement of a riseball decreases as it travels .... the trajectory flattens out.

Below is a simulation of a riseball thrown with true backspin, at a spin rate of 1500 rpm and pitch speed of 63mph. The red line represents the initial trajectory. The blue line represents the path of the ball. The flight path flattens out as the ball approaches the plate.

mlqfz6.jpg

Just out of curiosity, what is the source of your simulation?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
The reason I questioned the strike zone is because DD is a pitcher. Primarily a drop ball pitcher. If we see a hitter that is back in the box, we have asked our catchers to call more drops, thinking that when the break occurs it will create either a swing and miss or a ground ball. My concern over RHCs comments were due to this. If a hitter stands back in the zone and refuses to swing, DDs drop ball will almost never be a called strike. Fortunately for DD, many of the umpires in our area seem to call strikes more based on the position of the plate and less based on the position of the batter.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
fastpitch 26. Almost always I see it called correctly based on position of the plate not the batter. That is what good umpires call and are taught. DD had a good drop ball that Hillhouse taught her. At 12 batters couldn't hit it, trouble was hard to find a catcher that could catch it. Many dropped third strikes kill you.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
You just explained why Risebsll is incorrect with his assertion. There will be less late movement for a riseball thrown for a strike deeper in the box.

Then by all means please instruct all your hitters to move to the back of the box. Your hard work, albeit misguided is very much appreciated.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
If all of us agreed and implemented the same things, it wouldn't be as exciting of a game.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad