where to be in box against drop curve and rise ball???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
It is over the plate as it crosses the batter's front armpit and knee, so yes moving in the box moves the strike zone.

Is this the case in all organizations? I was also under the assumption that the zone was based on the front of the plate. Not only up and down, but left and right as well. For example, a screwball thrown at the inside corner would be a strike if it passes the front inside corner of the plate even if the catcher catches it several inches inside. Am I wrong?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Find the spot your batter likes and stay there. I don't like batters moving around in the box. My dd stands in the same spot all the time. She doesn't move around practicing her swing, so why move around in a game. I'm a firm believer in everything always the same, so if she is playing in Pa. or Cal. or where ever, always the same. She doesn't move around when she is pitching, so why would she do it hitting?

DD has experimented with moving around (back for faster pitchers and forward for slower pitchers), but she seems more comfortable in one spot. This is what she does exclusively now.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Is this the case in all organizations? I was also under the assumption that the zone was based on the front of the plate. Not only up and down, but left and right as well. For example, a screwball thrown at the inside corner would be a strike if it passes the front inside corner of the plate even if the catcher catches it several inches inside. Am I wrong?

The zone is based on the entire depth and width of the plate.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009

No it isn't all organizations, and the interpretations are as vast as the implications. NCAA says the area above homeplate plus one ball width each side, vertically from the batter's sturnum to their knees in their normal stance. I would say even at 14/16u I see very few balls at the sternum call a strike, and those that are, are typically met with argument.

Jul 2, 2013
Ps. When is the last time you saw a strike called at the batter's armpit like the rule books say?

The umpires, correctly so, have determined the strike zone is not under the armpits. But lower, much lower. We all should be thankful. For if the strike zone was up to the armpits, the game would suck with very few runs scored.

To the original poster, in general it is best to stand forward in the box, if you are quick enough. Try to get to the ball earlier in the break, not later.

And lay off the high ones.

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I wish all hitters would go to back of box when my DD throws her rise. That is all we would throw. Definitely do not want to be in back of box as it only makes the rise more effective.

To Riseball's point, most good batters will move up in the box against a pitcher with good movement to hit the ball with as little "break" as possible. It is easier for a batter to adjust to the speed of the pitch than it is to adjust to the movement of the pitch.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I wish all hitters would go to back of box when my DD throws her rise. That is all we would throw. Definitely do not want to be in back of box as it only makes the rise more effective.

To Riseball's point, most good batters will move up in the box against a pitcher with good movement to hit the ball with as little "break" as possible. It is easier for a batter to adjust to the speed of the pitch than it is to adjust to the movement of the pitch.

You just explained why Risebsll is incorrect with his assertion. There will be less late movement for a riseball thrown for a strike deeper in the box.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I don't know squat about pitching, but how is it possible for a pitcher to make a ball move (drop, curve, etc.) at exactly the 40-foot mark in its travel? Such that moving up in the box would somehow allow the hitter to bypass this movement altogether, or limit it?

If a pitcher is that good, can't she then choose to make it break at the 38-foot mark for players who move up? Or the 42-foot mark for players who move back? Or is there a magical distance where balls always breaks, putting the hitter in control by her strategic position in the batter's box? Or is the idea that a pitch suddenly breaks at a set point a myth? Can it really just travel straight and suddenly curve or drop for no reason?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I don't know squat about pitching, but how is it possible for a pitcher to make a ball move (drop, curve, etc.) at exactly the 40-foot mark in its travel? Such that moving up in the box would somehow allow the hitter to bypass this movement altogether, or limit it?

If a pitcher is that good, can't she then choose to make it break at the 38-foot mark for players who move up? Or the 42-foot mark for players who move back? Or is there a magical distance where balls always breaks, putting the hitter in control by her strategic position in the batter's box? Or is the idea that a pitch suddenly breaks at a set point a myth? Can it really just travel straight and suddenly curve or drop for no reason?

There is no magic taking place. The movement associated with a pitched ball is continuous. It isn't like there is a sudden change in direction taking place. For a riseball the ball will tend to flatten out as it approaches the plate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mugs_dad