where to be in box against drop curve and rise ball???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 8, 2010
Hello

So my DD is facing a pitcher next game with a good drop curve and decent rise ball.Should she be in the front of box to be more successful against the drop curve? I would assume she should be deep in the box for the Rise Ball ?

Also what drills can we do to practice hitting the drop curve ? She doesnt like hitting off machines and I can make the ball curve but can throw low outside .

Also whats the best approach in the at bat ? First pitch strike jump on it or first pitch drop curve layoff or swing if pitch is flat.

18U level Travel ball...

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!

JWP

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I wish all hitters would go to back of box when my DD throws her rise. That is all we would throw. Definitely do not want to be in back of box as it only makes the rise more effective.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
But wouldn't it be a ball most of time by the time its caught by the catcher ?

It is where it breaks the plane of the strike zone over the plate that makes it a ball or strike. Move back or up it is still a strike. In the back it is a very high strike and extremely difficult to hit.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The optimal positioning of a hitter in the box is fairly complex involving factors such as the type of pitches thrown, amount or lack of movement, positioning of runners, abilities of the catcher, not to mention the abilities of the hitter and other variables. All to often coaches over think this and mentally take players out of the game by moving them around like marionettes. But to your point, more often than not up will be better than back. A hitters comfort and mental state is far and away more important than positioning in the batters box.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
It is where it breaks the plane of the strike zone over the plate that makes it a ball or strike. Move back or up it is still a strike. In the back it is a very high strike and extremely difficult to hit.

It is over the plate as it crosses the batter's front armpit and knee, so yes moving in the box moves the strike zone. I used to stand in the front of the box when I played higher level fastpitch, never did real well against good rise ball pitchers. Fouled off a lot of pitches that would have probably been ball.
Now very back of the box. Imo it is harder to get a rise called a strike for a pitcher with batter in back of zone. Frustrated rise ball pitchers are more apt to throw the #1 homerun pitch, a rise left hanging in the zone.

Ps. When is the last time you saw a strike called at the batter's armpit like the rule books say?

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
I don't have my batters move around in the box. I do like to hear coaches move them, when I am coaching the pitchers though.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
I like what RHC says. Start off in back and see if she keeps throwing out of zone and keep taking it. If she tries to throw for a strike; well, bye bye.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I wish all hitters would go to back of box when my DD throws her rise. That is all we would throw. Definitely do not want to be in back of box as it only makes the rise more effective.

Bold above ..... that is incorrect.

If you promise to have your pitcher throw only riseballs, then I'd gladly have my team deep in the box.

Jan 25, 2011
Find the spot your batter likes and stay there. I don't like batters moving around in the box. My dd stands in the same spot all the time. She doesn't move around practicing her swing, so why move around in a game. I'm a firm believer in everything always the same, so if she is playing in Pa. or Cal. or where ever, always the same. She doesn't move around when she is pitching, so why would she do it hitting?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1