Where is K Zone?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
In watching the CWS, I have noticed that they are no longer using the K-Zone. I recall that back in the day, NCAA Softball was a leading innovator and that is where I believe I first saw the K-Zone. If I recall correctly, we had a lot of discussions on this site and others about it. I would like to have it used here. It seems to me that so many pitches at the knees are now balls. Of course, this is just my opinion and the K-Zone would verify that opinion or make me look sillier than I already am.

TMD

Feb 18, 2016
I recall that when they used the K-Zone in the WCWS several years ago, it made it glaringly obvious just how inconsistent the umps were, so they stopped using it. They kind of brought it back this year, but I've only seen it used during highlights/recaps of a pitcher's performance or series of pitches...not using it live.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Eventhough it may show some discrepencies...
it displays how hard it really is to determine what
Swing at strikes means.

Reminds me of what i know from catching.
And apply to hitting.
*Learn to hit pitches outside of what you think the zone is.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I noticed that they have the K-Zone in place to show pitches after the fact. Again, I don't understand why the K-Zone isn't being used as it has been in the past. I have always given the NCAA and Women's Softball a lot of credit for putting that K-Zone out there.

Feb 21, 2017
If you ask my son he would probably say they don’t want to highlight the poor framing and inconsistencies in some of the umps calls.

We didn’t pay attention to which umps were behind the plate but some of them would fall for the dragging the ball back into the zone when clearly it wasn’t a strike. Some umps didn’t fall for it but most of the catchers did it anyway and why not if you are going to get the call.

Source: He was a college catcher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish