Umpire stance

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
What do you do if the batter puts there hand in the slot (IE the blue circle)? I had one team that seemed ever batter would start with the hands there and it was impossible to pick up the ball at the pitchers release from that position.

Yeah, you just have to move and get the best view possible.

May 29, 2015
Agreed. We don't always get the perfect position. Move vertically (up/down), not horizontally (out of the slot).

Personally, I'd go down over up. I'm short though.

Jul 22, 2015
Funny that this came up. I've seen at least 3 NCAA umpires directly behind the catcher or just over the inside shoulder in the last week or so. Many years ago I called baseball that way and I definitely feel like I saw the entire plate (outside corner mainly) better than from the slot. However, just this year I fell like I've missed 2 or 3 hard fouls by being in the slot. I'm beginning to think I may try setting up a little closer to the middle and see how it goes.

Jan 28, 2017
At my DD game and one of the best umpires around (head of a local organization) and friend for at least 15 years walks up and we are talking and I asked him if he ever thought about the power eye. He said no and we talked about hitting and so on. The he said my power eye is my left eye. Somewhere in the conversation a really good LH pitcher walked by and he said she hates me calling.

We laughed and I told him you are tight when the ball is outside to a RH batter. She throws curves balls and gets them called and never touches the plate most of the time. I also said you call inside strikes on a RH more than anyone around here. Goes with the power eye deal to me. Just thought it was interesting.

Jan 22, 2011
I love having lefty catchers, they keep their gloves out of my way most of the time. Also, I prefer the term "receiving."

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fjhood