When to introduce next pitch?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
My DD (7) has only been pitching for about three months and of course is only throwing a fastball. In your opinion, when should a pitcher move on to the next pitch (probably change-up?). According to her PC, on her best pitches she is throwing mid to high 30s but can be wild. I have read that you want to be able to throw a strike about 75% (currently 1 out 3) of the time and then work on location (four corners) before introducing anything else. Just wondered she might get bored with same pitch the next 6 months?

Apr 20, 2009
Philippines
Being able to do corners for a starting pitcher at her age is quite changeling. Make her trainings challenging so she doesn't get bored. give her an objective for training like when she starts doing corners. tell her to make a certain number then give her a random spot and make sure she hits it.

She really has to master her speed and control and being consistent with proper form before any new pitch is introduced.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
7YOA??? Most kids can throw a drop AND rise by 6. Are you looking at an NAIA or D3 middle school?

Seriously, I wouldn't worry about it too much. Go out there and throw with her and have some fun.

Oct 18, 2009
I think it depends on the player. Your pitching coach would probably be the best judge.

IME, my DD's pitching coach started her on the the change somewhere around 9 months when she was throwing her fastball with decent velocity for strikes. She probably didn't really throw her change in a game until about three months after that. Mostly because she didn't feel confident in it and at the younger ages a lot of girls can't hit a good fastball even if its down the middle.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
sluggers - I understand your point not to rush things but if and when she is ready, I would like to keep her moving forward in her pitching development. In my area it is not unheard of for 7 or 8's to throw more than the fastball. You can have fun and also work on new pitches (no pressure).

May 13, 2008
Heck, in your age group it isn't unheard of for kids to be throwing 6 different movement pitches. Or, at least, think they throw 6 different movement pitches.

The point is, really, you really only need two pitches through 10U ball. A fastball (aka peel drop) and a changeup. Master those and it will take you a long way.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
New pitches when she's ready. There is alot of discipline that comes into play
when the young girls think about throwing different pitches. Do not press her,
enjoy yourself at the young age, when she is ready, try a change-up. My daughter did not throw a pitch until she was 10, the first season she went
fastball,changeup and peel-drop in that order. If she is having fun, you have it made

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Alot of the decision is going to be based on the size of her hands / length of the fingers. Maintaining a grip for the very young ones can be a major issue and a source of great frustration.

If they are throwing a fastball with a peel drop grip, you might want to watch the ball movement closely AND make sure the student watches the ball and where it travels.

If they are throwing that, watch for a down and in breaking pitch and point it out to her, ask her if she saw that pitch move down and in. Then show her the follow through that makes it move in that direction. When they see what it did, they want to practice it ALOT. We (MOM, DAD and ME) made a really big thing about it too. The ONLY time I ever had a student follow through towards the glove shoulder was to assist them in getting a nice moving down and in.

They would want to practice until bed time to see that ball actually move a little sideways when they wanted it to.

The main point here is this; if you are working on one movement pitch and all of a sudden she starts throwing something else in the attempts, stop what you are doing and start working on whatever it is they are throwing right, at that moment. It can be a huge confidence builder.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
When her pitches went high, my 9yo would say that was her "riseball".

The funny thing was that after awhile I explained to her how it wasn't really a riseball and not to try throwing anything but strikes for now. Turns out she knew it wasn't really a riseball, she just wants to mess with the batter's (and coaches) heads so they think she knows what she's doing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes