WHEN THE OTHER PITCHER DOMINATES

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
As a player have experienced the added pressue/intensity on the defense small ball creates to decision making and reaction impulse in the game!
From my position as a catcher (3rd on a few occaisions) And at bat.

Heck the way the ball flys off the bat its a tough situation as a corner.
To get in tight or stay back.
Crushed at you, or chasing a bunt.
Pitcher has to finish a pitch then react also.
Spot on RADCatcher. My DD is a very good hitter from the right side, but she likes to be versatile (and try new things). So during the Covid break she learned to slap. We had a scrimmage last week and it was the first time she got to put her new skills to the test. She needed to sacrifice to move a runner over. Coach called a drag bunt and she put it down perfectly. The awesome thing about it was that her sacrifice turned into a base hit from the left side. She would have been out if doing the same thing right handed.
Awesome! Great inspiration to develop our skillsets!

May i ask did your dd take a bigger interest in running faster? :)
Or already pretty zippy lets see if this lefty thing works?

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2020
Our girls take it personally when they get beat by a pitcher.......Practice will intensify and the girls will be focused after the beat down.....and the next time they battle that pitcher.....man will it be a showdown.......

These girls take it serious when it comes down to beating a pitcher......its personal.....

Sep 28, 2018
May i ask did your dd take a bigger interest in running faster? :)
Or already pretty zippy lets see if this lefty thing works?

She would probably be considered average home to 1st. She is as fast as anyone on the team after she gets up to speed, but she is a little slow to start. She is smaller in size, so I think it is all about her technique.

I told her that when we started practicing slapping that her coach probably wouldn't use her in that capacity much unless she improved her time to 1B. So while practicing her slapping we also tried to work on speed and quickness out of the box. I would have her slap off a tee and complete the drill with a sprint. She also worked a lot on just her starts out of the box and she also just ran a lot to get in even better shape physically. She actually shaved a couple of tenths off her time during all of this. Now that she has proven she can really do it and be successful we are considering a speed and agility coach to help even more.

What actually got her interested in slapping was just playing around from the left side. We would goof off at BP sometimes and let her hit lefty. She has always had good eye-hand coordination, so she was always barreling up the ball as a lefty. I think this sparked her curiosity and made her believe she could do it.

May 23, 2015
So just throw out your high level swing that you spend thousands of hours practicing in the off season? This is your path to victory?

Not only is this not the approach that the best hitters in the world utilize I haven't seen a whole team actually do this in a game.

"Hey ladies we made it to the championship game and the pitcher we are facing is next level. I need you to not use your high level swings that got us here and just bunt/slap/run into the pitch/fake bunt/bat left handed. This is our path to victory."

Said no coach ever....
"Coach" I believe and trust in you. You believe and trust in you with the confidence of a champion, but right now we need to change things up

radness

Dec 13, 2019
She would probably be considered average home to 1st. She is as fast as anyone on the team after she gets up to speed, but she is a little slow to start. She is smaller in size, so I think it is all about her technique.

I told her that when we started practicing slapping that her coach probably wouldn't use her in that capacity much unless she improved her time to 1B. So while practicing her slapping we also tried to work on speed and quickness out of the box. I would have her slap off a tee and complete the drill with a sprint. She also worked a lot on just her starts out of the box and she also just ran a lot to get in even better shape physically. She actually shaved a couple of tenths off her time during all of this. Now that she has proven she can really do it and be successful we are considering a speed and agility coach to help even more.

What actually got her interested in slapping was just playing around from the left side. We would goof off at BP sometimes and let her hit lefty. She has always had good eye-hand coordination, so she was always barreling up the ball as a lefty. I think this sparked her curiosity and made her believe she could do it.
Great story! Inspirational!
Keep it going!

May 23, 2015
As stated before a dominant pitching performance is an event. Two hall members at the bottom discussing what they saw warming up and what game time brought. Its an excellent insight

radness

Dec 13, 2019
As stated before a dominant pitching performance is an event. Two hall members at the bottom discussing what they saw warming up and what game time brought. Its an excellent insight

Holy Mackerel that umpire took a shot!
20 strikeouts is a battle against!

Played against Debbie Doom in a game where
She threw 24 strikeouts in an 11 inning game.
And her team lost.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet