When does the look back rule take effect?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
If they stop with ball in the circle. Advance toward 3rd. Then return to 2nd w/o P making any attempt or fake then yes you are correct, they should be out under LBR as I understand it. Once they stop they need to "immediately advnce to the next base or return to the base they came from". The definition of just how long "immediate" is seems to be up for debate.

May 23, 2012
If they stop with ball in the circle. Advance toward 3rd. Then return to 2nd w/o P making any attempt or fake then yes you are correct, they should be out under LBR as I understand it. Once they stop they need to "immediately advnce to the next base or return to the base they came from". The definition of just how long "immediate" is seems to be up for debate.

Thanks for the quick reply. That is how I interpreted the rule as well.

May 23, 2012
Can you tell me what the difference would be if there was and was not a runner on her way to first base?

Jun 22, 2008
Can you tell me what the difference would be if there was and was not a runner on her way to first base?

On a walk, the LBR does not take effect until the pitcher has the ball in the circle and the batter/runner has reached 1st base.

To try and further clarify, (hopefully not muddy the water any worse) you can also be dealing with timing issues with regard to the LBR. After the pitcher has the ball in the circle, the runners have 1 stop and reversal of direction. So, if a runner were off base and moving back toward a base when the pitcher received the ball in the circle, that runner still has a stop and reversal of direction.

May 23, 2012
On a walk, the LBR does not take effect until the pitcher has the ball in the circle and the batter/runner has reached 1st base.

To try and further clarify, (hopefully not muddy the water any worse) you can also be dealing with timing issues with regard to the LBR. After the pitcher has the ball in the circle, the runners have 1 stop and reversal of direction. So, if a runner were off base and moving back toward a base when the pitcher received the ball in the circle, that runner still has a stop and reversal of direction.

Thanks for the info... It seems like the more I learn about this rule, the more confusing it gets. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles