When a college coach asks you if you have any other college offers...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Be truthful. If asked state....
no offers...just nibbles and feelers
or just say other teams are interested. DD's college coached didn't ask but, DD let him know that she was visiting other schools that were interested in her. Wasn't a problem.

Sep 29, 2014
Not sure being honest is not always the best answer, saves you from having to keep your story straight should thing get found out in the end...the softball community is not that big, that does not mean it might not hurt you in the short term. If you say no offers the coach can feel free to lowball you and also wait until the last minute so you put yourself at a disadvantge.

One the other hand if you say we have several offers and are thinking about everything the coach might either a) make a quick great offer quickly OR b) figure she not worth getting into a bidding war and move on and she won't really feel bad about anything that happens or be invested because hey you have several offer and will land on your feet OR worst ask what school or what conference in which case you demur and don't answer because the odds are she knows or know people that know those programs.

So I would just be honest ...no offers but visiting other schools

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Be truthful. College coaches talk regularly and share information on recruits, so there is a good chance the coach may already know the answer to the question and is just asking to see how you respond.

Sep 28, 2015
My DD has been told by two D3s "they want her". She's a Jr so she has to apply still to see if she gets in. Would you mention those? She's only really looking at D2/D3s and really Leaning to D3s so the process is different when their is no athletic money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
My DD has been told by two D3s "they want her". She's a Jr so she has to apply still to see if she gets in. Would you mention those? She's only really looking at D2/D3s and really Leaning to D3s so the process is different when their is no athletic money

The recruiting process is like playing Texas Holdem. The coaches do not know what is in your hand and you do not know what is in theirs, and some cards are on the table. Be truthful, but vague and do not give your hand away. Playing one school against another is a good way to increase their offer and if you get really lucky at least one school will be ALL IN!

Last edited:

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Just hope the coach doesn't 'fold them'.

Some kids use rejection as a motivator to work harder, and when most schools only bring in 4-6 players a year, coaches have specific needs to fill. I look at rejection as "Divine Intervention" to lead my DD where she was meant to be.

Sep 26, 2015
DD is a freshman D1 player. When we visited the different colleges, no coach asked this question directly. One hinted around about it, saying in conversation - you must have a lot of offers - then watched DD reactions like a hawk. I am not a softball insider, but I seriously doubt coaches who are competing for the same girls talk regularly about softball or recruits - except to tell a friend at a different sized program about a girl who might be a good match. I think coaches make a lot of their decisions based on market indicators. For example, a top program dropped an injured girl, another program "found" the money to make her a large offer late. In this example the program is deep in her position and the girl had serious surgery, the girl will probably never play for this program. The same program made a small offer to a girl who didn't have a lot of exposure outside her northern state. This girl is going to be a freshman starter.

If a coach asked that question directly, I would instruct my daughter to answer vaguely, "Well coach there are other variables I have to consider besides the size of offers: in-state vs. out-of-state/private, what I can afford, the size/location of the school, the quality to the various academic programs I am interested in, etc. If the coach presses on, obviously don't lie, but always embellish - coaches have expressed interest etc.

Remember outside of a very few girls (nationally known pitchers, catchers who can hit and big hitters), the coaches hold all the cards. Once they decide they want your daughter, they are going to try to pick her up as cheap as possible. They have 12 scholarships to split among 25+/- girls and starters want to be paid. They will play games. One coach called my daughter, made an offer and said she had a week and half to decide because he wanted to close out that years' recruiting class. Big home state U coach was crestfallen when she realized DD was not going to be a walkon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06