When a 10yo catcher hands you this....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 12, 2015
I would say 99% of drop balls at the 10u level are either low fastballs or low balls thrown with enough speed taken off they just die before getting all the way to the plate. In other words, gravity is doing all the work, not ball spin.

Yeah, that's probably true of most of them. Some of them seem to get the spin down early but I imagine they're the exception.

Nov 29, 2009
Had one of my catchers come up to me a couple of weeks ago at practice and say "Coach. I don't want to be rude. But, So-N-So told me she has 6 different pitches. They all look the same to me." I told her I'm sure you're correct.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Weak, didn't even bounce over.....;)

Nothing was going to bounce much on that grass. After 2 weeks of rain, everything out there was pretty soft. Besides, bouncing over wouldn't have gotten her any further around the bases. DD was bummed it didn't fly over. Her first OTF HR was against the same team a couple of months earlier, and she drilled another to-the-fence double in her previous AB.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
Almost everybody is commenting on the absurd number of different pitches, and you're not wrong. But can we talk about how dumb it is to mix up all the numbers like that? Isn't the whole point of the wristband that it's EASY TO FIND the sign?

"This code is so good, even the people who know it can't understand it!"

Mar 8, 2016
DD was playing on a 12u team with the daughter of a D1 coach. The tb team coach's dd was having a rough outing in the circle. He got the attention of the D1 coach and asked him what pitch he should call. The D1 coach just said "I suggest you call a strike". Still to this day the best deadpan response I have ever heard.

Jun 29, 2013
LOL, I've seen a variation of this recently. Last year, two of the pitchers on my 10 yo DD's team claimed they could throw a fastball, change, drop, rise ball and curve. They both had fastballs and could throw a horseshoe change, but I didn't notice anything particularly different about the rest of the pitches other than the rise looked like a fastball thrown so hard that the pitcher couldn't possibly keep it within 5 feet of the catcher's head and the drop and curve looked slower than the fastball.

Feb 3, 2017
Almost everybody is commenting on the absurd number of different pitches, and you're not wrong. But can we talk about how dumb it is to mix up all the numbers like that? Isn't the whole point of the wristband that it's EASY TO FIND the sign?

"This code is so good, even the people who know it can't understand it!"
Exactly what I thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi