Whats the best Travel Tournament Vehicle ???

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Ford F150 crew max. 6 adults and a locking bed cover to secure all the gear. Aprox. 19mpg highway, 16 in town

What year and engine? I drive a 06' F150 4x4 Crew with the 5.4 and have never gotten over 13 MPG since I bought it new. I love the ride and size, but gas mileage sucks.

Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
What year and engine? I drive a 06' F150 4x4 Crew with the 5.4 and have never gotten over 13 MPG since I bought it new. I love the ride and size, but gas mileage sucks.

We just broke down and bought a 2013 F150 Supercrew (3.5L V6 Ecoboost). I get 15 mpg driving around town with lots of stops. DH drives it with fuel economy in mind - puts it in neutral at stop lights and down hills (dangerous), does the "pump and glide" bit - he gets 20, up to 25 mpg on flat highways. I'm a big fan of the grocery store fuel discounts. You can often get 2X fuel points if you buy gift cards - I buy gift cards for things I would need anyway - Home Depot for example and then reap the fuel discounts, up to $2/gallon here.
I love having a truck - they are just so handy. If DD has a tournament within striking distance, DH will drive her there early and I'll ride my bike over later. I can then just toss the bike in the back and ride home with the family - love it. In the spring and fall - muddy gear, muddy kids, muddy truck; all gets easily hosed off at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2010
I use our Scion xB to haul DD to practices and local tournaments. The Scion is not comfortable for drives over an hour, but its boxy shape lets us fit in all her equipment and it gets decent, not great gas mileage, I think somewhere around 28 mpg highway, 25 mpg out and about in town.

We switch to the Town & County minivan for long distance. The seats are comfortable, it has the foldaway DVD screen, etc. We can fit in so much cr@p and still have loads of room, it's not even funny! DD and I even ended up folding up all the seats, putting our sleeping bags on the floor and and sleeping in it on one very cold girl scout camping trip. With the stow and go seats, we can configure it however we want to and the areas that open to hold the folded seats act as hideaway storage areas for our valuables when we're travelling. I've been in SUVs that could hold as many people, but you're trapped in your seat and can't move around to get to anything until you park and get out. Way less comfortable! The downside is that the gas mileage is more like 22/18 mpg.

Dec 7, 2011
Drove the family minivan for years when the kids were young and more of the family went along on SB trips.

Now that we are in DD's later HS years and with LOTS of national travel I wanted to find the biggest,cheapest,2-3 person cruiser I could find. Wife n I in the front seat and DD sleeping in the back.

The result is a Chevy Monte Carlo, with the little engine (3.1L). I used to hate GM vehicles but this one has grown on me HUGE for this purpose.

Posh ride (floats like a butterfly), has ample trunk room (for the dirty stuff), gets 30+mpg. Can ya beat that for a $5K car?

Expect zero to sixty times in the minutes realm instead of seconds though..... :)

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Dodge Durango Crew. Seats 7 if needed. Fits everything.

I was using a Dodge RAM Crew- I switched as I liked the back of the SUV over the bed of the truck. Just easier access.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
'08 Lincoln Navigator, 18 mpg(4.4L V8) 2WD/AWD/4WD, turns on a dime, and enough acceleration to suck a Prius into its wake when you need it (substantial mileage penalty applies).
Real-world seating for 7 OR seating for 4 and haul gear for the whole team, OR something in between, with split-fold back row.
In-flight movies, no meal service.

Wife chose it, I've tried to hate it, but I just can't.

stv

May 12, 2010
I refuse to drive one, but it would be hard to beat a minivan. Good gas mileage, lots of storage room, entertainment center for long drives, back seats can fold or can be removed......

I'm with you. Tested water with DW she didn't go for it either.

Any Dodge Charger or Chrysler 300 people out there?

Oct 19, 2009
I'm right here.

you got me beat!...Chevy 2500HD Silverado 4-door crew cab...11 MPG....8 MPG when I tow the camper!!

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
you got me beat!...Chevy 2500HD Silverado 4-door crew cab...11 MPG....8 MPG when I tow the camper!!

Tell what will bring tears to your eyes, when the wife and I met I had a 90' Mustang GT that my father and I took out the old 302 and put in a GT40 Motorsports crate motor ( 375 hp ) and topped it off with a Turbonetics 15lb turbo charger ( +200 more horses ) and I had a single shot of NOS in the trunk ( +100 more ).

Almost 700hp to the rear wheels and got 17 mpg, daily driven with AC, power windows and locks, power steering. I still dream of that car a couple times a year and the fun I had. :)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06