What would yo udo?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 22, 2009
PA
14U pool game, playing 1:10 drop dead. You are the visiting team and are up 4-1. Starting the bottom of 5 with 10 minutes left on the clock. The home team has only managed 2 hits off your #1 pitcher, and batters 7/8/9 are coming up (PONY rules, they are batting 10 with an EP).

1. #7 batter lines a single up the middle
2. #8 walks, so 1st and 2nd with no outs.
3. #9 bunts, 3B makes a throwing error and the ball goes out of bounds, resulting in 2 runs and and a runner at 3rd, no outs.

#10 batter coming up, then top of the order. Score is 4-3. There are 5 minutes on the clock, you have no conferences left. What would you do?

Jan 24, 2011
I just pitch to her and try to get the strike out or get a ground ball and hold the runner while getting an out. If we don't , then probably still tied at worst. Not going to try and do anything to slow the game down here , it is a pool game

Nov 29, 2009
Not use the clock to my advantage and play the game the way it is meant to be played....even if it isn't a pool game.

Clock management has become a necessity in softball. Especially with shortened, drop dead games in pool play. While the OP doesn't mention it. I'm guessing the OP is factoring in the difference between a win or loss is playing that 8:00 AM game versus a later round of games the next morning. Not to mention a seeding advantage by winning.

The pitcher needs to know how to slow the game down. And they have to be taught it. She needs to take nearly the full 20 seconds between each pitch. The catcher needs to check the runner on every pitch by looking at her then taking a few steps down the line before delivering the ball back to the pitcher. She needs to walk the next two batters. Then the catcher needs to "talk" to her pitcher/defense. Wait till umpire is breaking up the conference. If you have any substitutions left make one. If there is still time left then repeat the process for the first three pitches on the last batter. That should get you to the time limit.

Is it bush??? Absolutely!!!

Is it necessary??? Sometimes it is.

Is it risky?? Yup!!!

Do I like doing it? Nope...

Have I done? Yup...

That's why many tournaments have gone to finish the inning trying to take clock management out of the game play.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Are drop-dead games used to seed for bracket play? A format like that is asking for trouble.

I won't say that I would never try to slow down a game, but I'm very reluctant to do it. This would not be a case in which I would do it. I wouldn't want to win a game because I went out of my way to prevent the other team from getting the full home half of the inning. Would rather give my players the opportunity to get out of the jam and win the game.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2014
Is it bush??? Absolutely!!!

Is it necessary??? Sometimes it is.

Is it risky?? Yup!!!

Do I like doing it? Nope...

Have I done? Yup...

That's why many tournaments have gone to finish the inning trying to take clock management out of the game play.

Well said.

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
Well said.

Really, you could walk the next two batters to load the bases and run the clock out. Hope for no passed balls or a ball too close to the zone though.

Still wouldn't do that. I just don't see clock management as a necessity. Play the game the way its supposed to be played and let the cards fall where they may. You win some and lose some, but you don't take the integrity out of the game.

coachjwb

Love this game!
Apr 16, 2014
Northeast Ohio
This game isn't meant to be played with drop dead rules, so the format just begs for trouble and I avoid tournaments with it. With that being said, I think that coaches, hitters and pitchers all need to know how to slow the game down when it's necessary, and I have done so many times. But my personal opinion is that intentionally walking batters in a pool game is over the top, and calling a timeout (if there was still one remaining) is usually as well. Just my opinion ... but just not sure what it teaches your youth players other than you should always do everything possible to win, even if it disrespects the game.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
If you want to be REAL bush league about it (and yes this has been done to me):

- C & P conference until umpire breaks it up
- Catcher swap. - this is the real killer. This takes forever, especially if you pull in your LF to be the new catcher
- Pitcher change
- One pitch, 2nd pitcher change

All our tournaments locally are now finish the inning to avoid this sort of BS as much as possible.

Now what I would (and have) actually done:

- I can live with a tie if I can get the 3 outs
- Pitch to the #10 with a pulled in infield and get the out without the run scoring (so hopefully by K)
- If this happens, pitch to the next two batters with a pulled in infield and outfield to try and stop the run getting in.
- If any of of the #10, #1 or #2 get on, but the run doesn't score, then you load the bases and make sure there is a force at home

I try to only be the jerk bush league coach on elimination days... and even then there is only so far I am willing to go.

Just don't even ask what the start time is and don't ask what the drop-dead time limit is. Or, don't wear a watch. That way, you are never tempted to act like an azzhole in front of a bunch of 13 year old girls and all their families.

That's how I do it. "Clock management" has no business in softball. If we can't win the game playing it the way it is meant to be played, then we should be playing at 8:00 a.m. the next day. Play it fair. Give the home team their last at-bat.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma