What would yo udo?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Not use the clock to my advantage and play the game the way it is meant to be played....even if it isn't a pool game.

I agree you should play the game the way it was intended to be played. That said I challenge anyone to produce a copy of a legitimate ruleset that states games are to be played based on a time limit. Timed games are an aberration as the game was never intended to be played within a specific time frame. Getting philosophical about how the game should be played when you are already engaged in playing it the way it shouldn't seems a bit odd. Kind of like driving 65mph in a 55mph zone and chastising those who are passing you at 70mph.

As soon as they quit playing games with a time limit, coaches will quit managing that aspect of the game. How you manage the clock is another matter. There are certain norms that seem to be acceptable. We regularly practice a "hurry up defense" which we use when we are down and need to move the game to a new inning and an opportunity to score more runs. Basically 1 and down then nothing but drop balls down the tube hoping for a 3 pitch inning. Sometimes we get a jerk that catches on and calls a time out, tells players to tie their shoes, makes substitutions, etc. More often than not they play us straight up.

Apr 11, 2012
Seems to me that it's either appropriate sportsmanship, or it's not. If we bring up what's at stake (8 a.m. vs. 1 p.m.), aren't we conceding that it's not good sportsmanship, but that sportsmanship may be ignored when it is really inconvenient?

Also, the fact that we don't mind if others play that way doesn't defend it. I don't get upset when other teams stall. Not because I think it's appropriate sportsmanship, but because it's wasted energy.

huh?.....why is making a pitching change not good sportsmanship?....and "no" ....."we" aren't conceding that it's not good sportsmanship, only you are so far....if you aren't worried about what's at stake in a pool game you are not doing what's best for your TB team....

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
I agree you should play the game the way it was intended to be played. That said I challenge anyone to produce a copy of a legitimate ruleset that states games are to be played based on a time limit. Timed games are an aberration as the game was never intended to be played within a specific time frame. Getting philosophical about how the game should be played when you are already engaged in playing it the way it shouldn't seems a bit odd. Kind of like driving 65mph in a 55mph zone and chastising those who are passing you at 70mph.

As soon as they quit playing games with a time limit, coaches will quit managing that aspect of the game. How you manage the clock is another matter. There are certain norms that seem to be acceptable. We regularly practice a "hurry up defense" which we use when we are down and need to move the game to a new inning and an opportunity to score more runs. Basically 1 and down then nothing but drop balls down the tube hoping for a 3 pitch inning. Sometimes we get a jerk that catches on and calls a time out, tells players to tie their shoes, makes substitutions, etc. More often than not they play us straight up.

I agree with what you are saying. I just agree with Little Angels more lol. At least I think it was he who said to just don't worry about the clock and play the game.

if you aren't worried about what's at stake in a pool game you are not doing what's best for your TB team....
I am always worried about what is at stake in any game, practice or team meeting. What is at stake is a bunch of girls learning to play and love the game of softball and, maybe even more importantly, learning to respect it. To me, stalling disrespects your opponent and it disrespects the game, even if time limits are a part of it. It just isn't right.

I try to never lose sight of what's at stake. Ever. That's why I don't pay attention to time.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
huh?.....why is making a pitching change not good sportsmanship?....

Because it was designed to play the clock. No point in us arguing whether that's sporting or not. People will agree w/ you. People will agree w/ me. But IMHO, that's not how the game is to be played. Let the girls win or lose the game, not a coach manipulating rules that are designed to keep the tournament on schedule, not to be manipulated as a coaching strategy. Honest people can disagree on this.

and "no" ....."we" aren't conceding that it's not good sportsmanship, only you are so far...

Not sure I follow this. Only me? Several on this thread that says these tactics are poor sportsmanship.

if you aren't worried about what's at stake in a pool game you are not doing what's best for your TB team....

Didn't make my point clear. Of course I'm concerned about what's at stake in the pool game. My question is why bring up what's at stake when arguing whether to play the clock? It's either proper strategy, or it's gamesmanship. It's either right, or it's wrong. It doesn't matter what's at stake. If you bring up what's at stake, that suggests you're weighing the two -- ''It might not be the most honorable thing to do, but what's at stake outweighs that, so this is what I'm going to do.'' What if nothing is at stake? How would you play it then? And why would it be different?

Jun 11, 2013
If it were up to me I would never play a tourney with Drop dead time limits. It's just stupid and if you continue to
play in them you are the telling the TD that it's OK.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I am always worried about what is at stake in any game, practice or team meeting. What is at stake is a bunch of girls learning to play and love the game of softball and, maybe even more importantly, learning to respect it. To me, stalling disrespects your opponent and it disrespects the game, even if time limits are a part of it. It just isn't right.

I try to never lose sight of what's at stake. Ever. That's why I don't pay attention to time.

And not only is respect of the game at stake, but also a precious opportunity to play in crunch time and see how your team responds. Consider the example of the original post. Why do we play the game in the first place? Isn't it the competition and the challenge? Isn't it those tight spots where the game is on the line? You've reached the most exciting part of the game and then you say, ''Sorry, I hear mom calling me for dinner. Got to go. We win!''

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I'm with Sparky, but I don't think it is bush. Once you time a game you introduce clock management. It is simple really, the game was designed to play full innings and timed games are abominations and I hate them, but show me the rules and I will play the game. In this situation my catcher is going to be dancing a lot with that girl on third and taking plenty of time doing so. My pitcher is throwing high outside pitches a foot off the plate and taking her time in doing it. When the two walks are on I am going to change pitchers.

Time has no place in the game.

Apr 11, 2012
learning to respect it?....what does that even mean?.... have you ever even played in a "A" or "Gold" level "drop dead" tournament....?

all I said we do is make a pitching change sometimes (because we have 4 of them throwing 60+)....that's it, no extra trips to the mound, telling girls to take their time or pitches....because that is stalling and we don't do it.....but make a pitching change late in a "A" or "Gold" level tourney is disrespectful?....please explain to me how that is disrespectful in a "drop dead" tournament...?

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
What does the level you're playing at have to do with anything? Are you still considering the OP or are you off on some other thing? Making a pitching change is not an issue, only when you're burning clock due to the situation the OP posted.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan