What would yo udo?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 24, 2013
I will drag out to maybe not start a NEW inning... but that is a different situation.... my pitcher this weekend was working a high tempo... before what I hoped would be their last ups, I said to her to chill. If they score they score... but dont rush... everyone got their ups... the bush move is to get to a drop dead because you think if they bat, you will lose before you can get 3 outs, then as was said, you are robbing KIDS of a chance to win. let the kids fight it out, equal ups.... that is why, even though it makes tourneys a bit chaotic, no new inning at x minutes is the best. everyone gets the same opportunity.

Huskerdu

With Purpose and Urgency
Sep 4, 2011
If you want to be REAL bush league about it (and yes this has been done to me):

- C & P conference until umpire breaks it up
- Catcher swap. - this is the real killer. This takes forever, especially if you pull in your LF to be the new catcher
- Pitcher change
- One pitch, 2nd pitcher change

All our tournaments locally are now finish the inning to avoid this sort of BS as much as possible.

Now what I would (and have) actually done:

- I can live with a tie if I can get the 3 outs
- Pitch to the #10 with a pulled in infield and get the out without the run scoring (so hopefully by K)
- If this happens, pitch to the next two batters with a pulled in infield and outfield to try and stop the run getting in.
- If any of of the #10, #1 or #2 get on, but the run doesn't score, then you load the bases and make sure there is a force at home

I try to only be the jerk bush league coach on elimination days... and even then there is only so far I am willing to go.

This happened to us this weekend, the chucklehead in the 3rd base box called time, told one of his kids to tie her shoe, and that consumed the time. I would absolutely never do that, I don't care about the situation. We win playing the game, not manipulating the rules. I've lost a game before by literally 10 seconds when the inning ended.

Every time a coach delays the game on purpose...God kills a kitten. :D

Apr 11, 2012
I wouldn't do anything. It is up to the kids to win or lose the game.

you wouldn't do anything? which I get the noble response ....but does that mean would choose "home" instead of "visitors" if you won the toss....?

In 10's and 12's its tough to change pitchers, because for most teams "#2" scares the crap out of some coaches in important pool game matchups....but in 16's and 18's....I'm sorry and we don't go out of our way to stall (i.e. mound trip then a pitching change)....but if making a pitching change helps insure you play at 1:00pm the next day instead of 8:00am, well that's just what's going to happen....and we are fine if someone does it to us in a drop dead format too....we signed up for the stupid tournament and it's crazy rules and certainly realize it's a different way to play....but it's the same for both teams and you got to get a lead in this format and try to hang on....

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
but if making a pitching change helps insure you play at 1:00pm the next day instead of 8:00am, well that's just what's going to happen....

Seems to me that it's either appropriate sportsmanship, or it's not. If we bring up what's at stake (8 a.m. vs. 1 p.m.), aren't we conceding that it's not good sportsmanship, but that sportsmanship may be ignored when it is really inconvenient?

Also, the fact that we don't mind if others play that way doesn't defend it. I don't get upset when other teams stall. Not because I think it's appropriate sportsmanship, but because it's wasted energy.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2009
PA
Thanks for the insights. The reason the games were 1:10 drop dead is rain the day before delayed the start of the games to late morning starts, so it was the only way to get all the pool games in on Saturday. We were 0-2 on the day so far (losses to the eventual champion and the third place team), and a win would have made a huge difference in terms of seeding.

I changed one thing about the situation - I did have one conference left, but I didn't use it. We pitched to the #10 batter, who bunted the first pitch back to our pitcher, who looked the runner back and threw to 1B. We got the out, but the relay was late getting home and the tying run scored. Both the #1 and #2 batters struck out, ending the inning with 1 minute left in the top of the 6th. We didn't bother to start the inning.

In retrospect, I probably would have used the conference, not to delay and burn the clock, but to be sure the team knew to hold the ball on a bunt, not let the runner score, and take our chances with the next batter. Ultimately, their batter got the bunt down, their base runner made a smart base running decision, and we didn't execute to get the DP. I think playing this out was an experience that was far more valuable for my team than my players watching me go to the circle trying to waste the clock.

As a bonus, win or lose we would have had to play at 8AM anyway, and the seed we got for the tie (18th seed) ended up giving us a better match up on Sunday.

Feb 19, 2012
West US
You let the girls play and learn the game, instead of taking control and thinking for them. You are developing softball players, and I admire that much more than a win.

I coached against a guy years ago who used the clock and instructed the girls on every play, none of those girls went on to play after 12 years old except his daughter, who will graduate on JV. He ran off good players, good kids, because he never taught them the game but coached for the W.

Feb 7, 2013
While I wish all games could be 7 innings that's not a reality in most tournaments in pool play. If there are time limits I see nothing wrong with trying to use it to your advantage. For example, we played in one game where we only needed a tie in the 3rd game to get the #1 seed. We were losing with only a few minutes left but tied the game with only 1 out. I had my R1 step off first base early for out #2 and told batter to swing through the next three pitches, 3rd out. Next inning started. A minute later drop dead and game over. Had we tried to win the game. time likely would had expired and reverted back to the previous inning when we were behind. A loss meant a lower seed against a strong team. We ended up winning the tournament. I would do the same thing again if faced with the same situation.

Let me ask you this, would it be more sportsmanlike had my team scored 5 more runs and time expired and the score reverted back resulting in a loss for my players? Is that good coaching?

Oct 22, 2009
PA
RT, I think the situation you describe is a bit different. You're trying to complete the inning, rather than milking the clock so time runs out. I don't have a problem with that at all.

Let me ask you this, would it be more sportsmanlike had my team scored 5 more runs and time expired and the score reverted back resulting in a loss for my players? Is that good coaching?

My understanding of the drop-dead rule is that if the home team takes the lead and time expires, game over, home team wins. No reason to revert back to the last inning since both teams had an equal number of at bats. The score only reverts back if the visiting team takes the lead in their last at bat, and the home team has not had a chance to complete their last at bat.

Last edited:

Slappers

Don't like labels
Sep 13, 2013
Dumfries, VA
RT, I think the situation you describe is a bit different. You're trying to complete the inning, rather than milking the clock so time runs out. I don't have a problem with that at all.

My understanding of the drop-dead rule is that if the home team takes the lead and time expires, game over, home team wins. No reason to revert back to the last inning since both teams had an equal number of at bats. The score only reverts back if the visiting team takes the lead in their last at bat, and the home team has not had a chance to complete their last at bat.

If the game reverted back to the previous inning, it is neither good nor bad coaching. It is what it is which is playing the game by the rules that you signed up for.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207