What to do in this situation?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 9, 2009
SoCal - OC
Watching a game last night that was an elimination game in a local rec tournament. Rules were no new inning after 1:30, if tied go to ITB. Visitors were down by 3 runs, 2outs, no base runners, number 11 hitter up, then top of the order. 11 hitter gets BB and gets to first. Only about 10 min on the clock. Other team has their number 1 pitcher on mound and she is pitching well.

Do you....

A. go for it with your lead off batter at the plate and hope to get at least 3 runs with only 1 out left to burn.

B. Have runner at first intentionally step off and violate LBR so that you can try to hold in bottom 1/2 and then maybe start the new inning before 1:30 on the clock so you have 1-3 hitters up.

What is your opinion? Will post outcome in a couple of days.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
This sounds like a game I watched on Sunday. Only this was a drop dead game and the score reverts back to the end of the last complete inning.

2 VERY good 14U teams. Visitors are down by 3, they bring the score up to be up by 1. There is 8 minutes on the clock, but they HAVE to complete the inning. Coach is trying to get the 3rd out. He is trying to get his girls to leave bases early (only they don't understand what he is doing). He is sending girls home to steal on a caught pitch, only the other team wouldn't tag them out. Finally get the 6 runs for the run rule, but there is now only like 3 minutes on the clock. The visitors lost. Bad thing about this game.....we were playing on the field beside it. Both of our umps and coaches from both teams were watching the other game. LOL! It was much more entertaining than our beating we got.

I am curious to see what others would do and what the outcome was.

Oct 19, 2009
I would roll the dice in this situation and go for it with the top of my order despite the two outs. If they hadn't figured out how to hit this pitcher by now they never will. You pull a stunt like this and you are begging the home team to pull every stall tactic in the book to keep that next inning from ever happenning.

Jun 21, 2010
If the player was told to intentionally step off the base then I hope the home team took the rest of the time in their turn at bat and the visitors never got another chance.

IMO never ever will I give up or allow my girls to give up...these are moments I remind them of why they love this game and the joys of some good ole fashion competition. I simply remind my team that this is our inning, we take this game right here....right now! Remind them of the many times we;ve scored runs with 2 out rally's. I wouldn't put my teams fate in the oppositions hands. Plus it really puts your defense in panic mode which promote sloppy plays and poor reactions. Suppose you did purposely end your 1/2 inning, the other teams comes up stalling every at bat legally chewing up time by subbing in hitters...that would suck cause most of the time this is exactly how it would happen.
I'd rather my kids faught back with thier backs against the wall in a do-or-die battle....win or lose this is how I've always played the clock. No 'what if's' ....no second guessing about what might have been.

Jan 31, 2011
IMO never ever will I give up or allow my girls to give up...these are moments I remind them of why they love this game and the joys of some good ole fashion competition. I simply remind my team that this is our inning, we take this game right here....right now! Remind them of the many times we;ve scored runs with 2 out rally's. I wouldn't put my teams fate in the oppositions hands. Plus it really puts your defense in panic mode which promote sloppy plays and poor reactions. Suppose you did purposely end your 1/2 inning, the other teams comes up stalling every at bat legally chewing up time by subbing in hitters...that would suck cause most of the time this is exactly how it would happen.
I'd rather my kids faught back with thier backs against the wall in a do-or-die battle....win or lose this is how I've always played the clock. No 'what if's' ....no second guessing about what might have been.

Exactly. Play the game and don't try to play games with the clock...Think back to previous innings. Did the girls hustle on and off the field. Did the team manage the clock between innings, or are we rushing a the last second and trying to make up for it at the end.

Its a good learning experience. And absolutely, the opposing coach will eat up as much clock as possible.

Feb 24, 2010
The only time I look at the clock is if we are playing the next game and I have to make sure I get my next game's pitcher plenty of time to warm up. Otherwise, the clock is only there to allow all of the tournament games to be played.

Jun 18, 2010

I Agree with D.G.

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Please explain this me, I am a little slow... 6 run rule? Why would visitors end the inning early and then keep going to get 6 runs, then lose?

There is a maximum number of runs per inning: in this case, the visitor's at bat ends automatically after scoring 6 runs. But that's just the top of the inning. The 3 minutes left is not enough to get the 3 outs on the home team. Score reverts back to the previous inning, where the visitors were behind. (Per inning run limits are fairly common in rec ball leagues.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck