What role if any does "bat wrap" play in turning the barrel?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
I can't argue that. But the coach that I referenced doesn't understand stretch and fire or loading the hands and thinks any movement designed to attain that is 'extra movement.' His model is door-knocker grip, elbows on a table in the stance and straight to the ball, no S&F or coil forward.

The Alabama head coach uses the reference of elbows on the table and door knocking knuckles, he advised when the mound was at 40 feet and release point was 35-34 feet with pitch speed around 70 MPH he did not teach a back to go forward movement due to the fact you did not have time for a back to go forward movement. The only issue I have from your post is there is no mention of a back movement (to gather momentum) to go forward. The V shape IMO is not a bad model the door knocking is not bad either, IMO splitting the door knocking knuckles is an improvement and allows for a less restrictive swing and finish. JMO

R

RayR

Concurrent with the spot on analysis below is the understanding that sequence trumps all. Sequence and timing are linked. Or you can think in terms of Rhythm, Timing and Tempo (RTT). The ability to be moving forward and staying back at the same time. And the ability to start the swing anytime.

While a short sighted college/HS coach might believe that removing movement would shorten the swing - it would be the same as thinking that taking the hands straight to the ball would be quicker then learning how to sequence correctly so the barrel gets into the hitting path earlier and stays there for a while.

I had a summer player that hit 3rd for us and had a really nice swing and went off to a D3 college. Came back sans stride and couldn't hit crap the next summer...college coach of a sub .500 program changed her swing so that she would be quicker - took the stride away and had taking her hands to the ball...UGH...

Merry Christmas!

Why the difference in move out "stride length" in these 2 swings?

AMC4_zpsbc7b5cb9.gif

McCutchen_highside.gif

TIMING

I will say though...chances are...with softball hitters...all levels...: if they have a lot of movement, they probably don't have a good swing.
BUT those college and hitting coaches tend to make a lot of general statements that high school and youth coaches walk away with as absolutes. A local high school coach (who admits hitting isn't really his thing) told me that his dd's D1 program took away her stride (this year freshman). I assumed she started toe touch or something. So I got to see her hit a few weeks later...she stood flat footed, swung with her arms, and spun her back side trailing...you know "cause you gotta get them hips through."

I would say that this site and other net sites has done 100 times more for softball hitting in about 5 years then has been done in the last 20 years. We have 10 year old girls with awesome swings and parents that know more about hitting then D1 head coaches.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
As for 'movement' ... one of Jim Dixon's conclusions was that "exceptional hitters" begin their motion earlier than do amateur hitters.

There is a reason the "Holy Grail" of hitting is effective.

The reality is that Sir Isaac Newton had it correct.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The Alabama head coach uses the reference of elbows on the table and door knocking knuckles, he advised when the mound was at 40 feet and release point was 35-34 feet with pitch speed around 70 MPH he did not teach a back to go forward movement due to the fact you did not have time for a back to go forward movement. The only issue I have from your post is there is no mention of a back movement (to gather momentum) to go forward. The V shape IMO is not a bad model the door knocking is not bad either, IMO splitting the door knocking knuckles is an improvement and allows for a less restrictive swing and finish. JMO

It is a good thing that the Alabama coach doesn't apply such restrictive references to his own players.

358544m.jpg

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

This player didn't read the Alabama memo on the dictation of stupidity.

xbd3fc.jpg

R

RayR

I don't think you can dispute that fastpitch hitters can get away with more due to the hot bats...It looks like Braud was fooled on the pitch a bit and all she had to was slow down her swing after it started...put the barrel on it.

Lunceford has a better start but then rushes the upper body and ends up in the same wrapped position as Braud

2rml24n.jpg

0vw8.jpg

As for 'movement' ... one of Jim Dixon's conclusions was that "exceptional hitters" begin their motion earlier than do amateur hitters.

There is a reason the "Holy Grail" of hitting is effective.

The reality is that Sir Isaac Newton had it correct.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mooneyham6877