What role if any does "bat wrap" play in turning the barrel?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I like Murphy.

Me too. A great guy. The players that I've talked to that have played for him speak highly of him. He creates a family-like environment that the players buy into.

That said ... many of his players are ignoring his advice ala Peppers.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The blasphemy of the Alabama players is just outstanding.

I don't get it. The coach is a great guy and the players love him ... but the players don't appear to be listening to him.

jihlqd.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The Hanson Principle is simply a manner of seeking confirmation. It's a simple tool ..... that is quite easy to use. Simple enough to check if the advice being given is a commonality of the best hitters.

25hcshe.gif

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
I have talked personally with Pat, he is long time friends of a friend of mine. I will see him in the next month and will talk hitting.

My guess of elbows on table wording of common teaching at clinics for young kids. It's the teaching that the front elbow shouldn't be higher than the back elbow.

My good D1 coach friend still says "Its not my job to teach good hitters, it's my job to find and recruit them."

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Kayla Braud from Alabama …..

fyfll1.gif

- Door knocking knuckles aligned … Nope!

- Elbows level on the table …. Nope!

- Static …. Nope!

She didn't get her front foot down early during this at-bat either.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
Just as the earlier advice to get the foot down earlier removes athleticism, so does the removal of movements that are actually sound movement patterns.

Obsession with removal of movement is just something I will never understand in the softball world. It's sad really. I agree with most of your posts on this thread, although as an aside you mention it can be detrimental to hitters to switch them from a more aggressive load to a quieter load, but on other threads you've routinely stated that you easily switch many hitters in this manner with no ill effect. Put me in the camp that believes there usually is ill effect.

But, again agree with most of your posts. Hanson principle rules the day. I have done similar exercises with Candrea when he was at the height of his popularity. Checked his infielders on the national team in a drill video. They all ignore his recommendation to show the ball to "center field" (behind). Guess none of them can throw well. Also checked his national and Arizona teams and they nearly to a player ignore what at one time was his advice on degree of separation in the load.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad