What role if any does "bat wrap" play in turning the barrel?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Bat wrap and bat trap is not good. Loading by BHUT helps with the proper load. Helps also with turning the barrel.
Manny_As_ST.gif

Yep. BHUT is what we do. Just never heard it called that before I saw it on this site :) Don't want a stinky BHUT!!

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
GBrett_3000_rear.gif

G.Brett had 0 degree neck slot but,still turned the barrel. I do feel it can be a good starting point for some hitters who may have trouble learning 'turn the barrel' from a vertical bat position.

Feb 7, 2013
Would it be safe to say that the more you take the barrel away from point of contact the more power you will generate but may be sacrificing some accuracy to make solid contact consistently? This seems to be Joe Morgans argument in FFS video clip. A golf analogy would be John Daly who would wrap his golf club so far back beyond parallel. That helped him be one of the longest drivers on the PGA tour but he was not the most accurate golfer. This is a consistent theme in both baseball/softball and golf.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
So it is essentially a matter of degree. The action of wrapping the bat a little but maintaining the hinge angle, is fine. But wrapping it too far is when it becomes a problem... Just keep the hinge angle intact.

You are on the right track. The barrel should be loaded ... just not excessively, which is commonly referred to a 'bat wrap'.

Oct 10, 2011
From Donny Buster's presentation:
"Wrapping the bat is breaking the hinge angle down to an acute angle early usually during the load. Wrapping is often happening in conjunction with getting the barrel too far around the body to recover or too deep in the neck slot creating a wrapped and trapped bat weakening the kinetic chain."

So what is the difference between bat wrap and cocking the wrists?
Bat wrap is bad because IMO it is created by to much inward loading of the upper torso.....which in turn has to unwind when the bat is launched......a slow process.
Cocking of the wrists loads the bat head and does not create a longer/slower swing. Holding the wrist cock until after bat lag will generate high bat speeds.
To many kids get minimal wrist cock and generate minimal bat speed. Can't say I've ever seen wrist cocking do anything but good.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
From Donny Buster's presentation:
"Wrapping the bat is breaking the hinge angle down to an acute angle early usually during the load. Wrapping is often happening in conjunction with getting the barrel too far around the body to recover or too deep in the neck slot creating a wrapped and trapped bat weakening the kinetic chain."

There's been a fruitful discussion on this very thing over at BBD the last few days. It has become clear that the hinge angle,if lost or allowed to break in any direction can lead to many unsavory results, bat wrap, barrel dump, loss of adjustability, etc...
I highly suggest reading the thread.

I tried to post a link here but that may not be allowed anymore as I received an error message.

It's called:
Hing Angle-over baked or an absolute

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Would it be safe to say that the more you take the barrel away from point of contact the more power you will generate but may be sacrificing some accuracy to make solid contact consistently?

I really like this question as it relates to a lot of things in hitting. ... Does a longer stride provide more power at the risk of less accuracy? (See Babe Ruth.) Does more stretch & fire (hands/hip separation) provide more power at the risk of less accuracy?

I know that my DD has experienced far more extra-base hits, but also is much more likely to strike out, since adding some of these features to her swing. Would it be proper for a hitting coach (or hitter) to tweak some of those things to find the most productive mix of power and accuracy?

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
I really like this question as it relates to a lot of things in hitting. ... Does a longer stride provide more power at the risk of less accuracy? (See Babe Ruth.) Does more stretch & fire (hands/hip separation) provide more power at the risk of less accuracy?

I know that my DD has experienced far more extra-base hits, but also is much more likely to strike out, since adding some of these features to her swing. Would it be proper for a hitting coach (or hitter) to tweak some of those things to find the most productive mix of power and accuracy?[/QUOTE]

IMO it is exactly the job of the hitting coach and or the hitter the tweak these things, individualize if you will to find the best mix for the the hitter. Cookie cutter NOOOO. This ^^^^ is what I think of when I here the term " take ownership of your swing". TJ

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi