What powers the barrel turn?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
at high level, the rear thigh drives forcefully inward in similar fashion. It is an active force, and not a reactive one.
ACraig_1Bview.gif
ACraig_1Bview_launch.gif

The upper torso resists the rotational influence of the thigh by clamping of the scapula towards the spine

11t3adc.gif

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2009
Excepting some type of Bruce Lee MMA spinning backfist, how is a punch ever not a push???

I agree I'd like to better understand why you'd call it a punch. A whip does not feel or look like what one would call a "punch." The barrel getting pulled into the zone by lower body drive is not a punch.

Perhaps a punch (back) PLUS a barrel turn (hands) = the look and feel of a whipping action?

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
cabrerawrinkles_zps351f0f78.gif

reactive to pull back
fielderback_zpse81d8c63.gif

reactive to pull back
NelsonCruz_Side_2014.gif

reactive to pull back
i3ykic.gif

reactive to pull back

The highest level hitters do not actively drive their rear leg down...in...or ir it. When you (anyone in general) swing a bat, and have done it, it is absolute and you will know. No need to try to figure out what is happening in video, you know. THERE IS IR PRESSURE you need to have, and the hip, core, back, and hands are pulling against that ir pressure, but no need to actively turn the rear leg if the slack is already removed. Bagwell, Craig, and each and every person throwing a ball does not start with any ir pressure. They reel in slack by actively turning the leg. It works, but it can be by passed. Focus can then be on the barrel turn and the learned pull back that goes with it. The rear leg is then reactive. It turns. It has to. The focus is on the vertical upright gears...not the horrizontal turning gears. A more sudden more efficent high level swing. Do it and you will just know.
Though I call it rear leg hitting and one legged hitting. It is all in the teaching. I certainly don't want to be focusing on my leg with a pitch coming in.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I don't see the knee pulling. I see the knee getting pulled. The knee's movement is a reaction to what is happening above it.

"I see the rear knee of Harper really pulling down and in, same with Bagwell, creating some really large separation"

Can you comment on these quotes TBao

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I don't see the knee pulling. I see the knee getting pulled. The knee's movement is a reaction to what is happening above it.

"I see the rear knee of Harper really pulling down and in, same with Bagwell, creating some really large separation"

Can you comment on these quotes TBao

What muscles in the knee perform this pulling? None. The knee action you see is a result of another action.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Knee, this is where the confusion might lye. The "position" of the knee, in front of the pelvis. and bent. if you think the knee is not important, try hitting with straight legs

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntooutdoors